Eng Adv_1984_Related text (1 Viewer)

AJ7

HSC
Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for related texts that pair up with Nineteen Eighty-Four? (which are not on the HSC Prescriptions)
As a part of my assignment my poster must include a:

"symbolic representations of the way diverse human experiences invite the responder to see the world differently or reflect personally in Nineteen Eighty-Four and your related material"

Thanks

Anaya R

HSC
I haven't read 1984 or the text I'm going to suggest in great depth, but perhaps Fahrenheit 451? It's also a dystopian book in which the protagonist struggles against a controlling government.

AJ7

HSC
I haven't read 1984 or the text I'm going to suggest in great depth, but perhaps Fahrenheit 451? It's also a dystopian book in which the protagonist struggles against a controlling government.
Thanks for the reply, Anaya!

There's a slight problem with that. I'm time-bound as the assignment is due in a fortnight coupled with all my other exams will make it difficult to read and thoroughly analyse Fahrenheit 451. I'm preferably looking for shorter texts like poems, short stories, etc (as they're usually packed with a lot of condensed meaning).

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
depends on your school, but there are teachers that advise against doing dystopians, because they're generic and basic. and for a much stronger response, doing something that is in a different form of media than your prescribed helps a lot (as that means you're not just analysing only prose fiction techniques for the entire thing, and shows strong analysis as you're delving into different forms), such as a poem, or a feature film, or a short film (the kind you find on youtube).

it also depends on the type of related text. if you're planning to respond to the question by saying 1984 has this kind of symbolic representation while this text has another, then i would suggest the poem 'the road not taken' by robert frost, which is genuinely i think a perfect representation of the human experience through the symbolism of the fork in the road in the poem (which even has a sparknotes with a page titled 'human experience'), or the short film on youtube called 'noose', with the noose being a symbolic representation as well (but even though it's a good text try and make sure that you're allowed to do it as it's about a boy who is contemplating suicide)

compsci99

HSC
I did the movie one flew over the cuckoo's nest a few years ago. Really similar concepts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)