Eng Advanced (1 Viewer)

allGenreGamer

My teacher claimed that u do not get scaled up for doing english advanced... is this true? If so whats the point in selecting it? Plz tell me.

04er

HSC
The point is that its more likely for you to get band 6 - as we all know, since the introduction of the new HSC, only one candidate in English (Standard) has received a band 6. This was last year, the score was 90.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by allGenreGamer
My teacher claimed that u do not get scaled up for doing english advanced... is this true? If so whats the point in selecting it? Plz tell me.
Standard and Advanced get scaled exactly the same, but there is a higher chance you will do well in Advanced then Standard :). better marks)

Matth3w

Demon-Eyes-Kyo
HSC
Heh. I got fed the same load of bullshit by our careers advisor at the beginning of y11. But just 2 weeks ago a friend of mine came to school with a printout of the page on the board of studies website which says "Standard and Advanced English are scaled the same"

I find it hard to believe tho.:cool:

Iunny

It is scaled the same. However, it is harder for standard students to obtain a band 5, and band 6 is like, impossible. I think there is only 1 person in the whole state that got band 6 last year

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
y is it impossible though? say a very talented eng shtudent who SHOULD be doin adv chose to do stnd then what happens? is it rare and impossible due to the poor candidature? i find it hard to believ that of all the stnd ppl, only ONE can scrape a band six. somethin's missing...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
also post this in the HSC/scaling forum. lazarus knows a lot about scaling, as does ragarunner and some others

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i've been told the reason is because the area of study
advanced students are supposed to be doing a much more complex analysis and it apparently really shows in the area of study
the marks that get missed out on there make it really hard for a standard kid to get a band 5/6
eh, i don't really know but i guess it makes sense

jimmik

HSC
Originally posted by iambored
also post this in the HSC/scaling forum. lazarus knows a lot about scaling, as does ragarunner and some others
ditto. they told me all about it! yes they broke the truth..eng adv and standard hav the same scaling..

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
but the thing is, the person who got 90 in standard got scaled better than people who got 90 in advanced.

They ALIGN the marks in standard a lot worse, btu that has no effect on the scaling (cause they use the raw exam marks to get the scaled mark).

bah i should be posting in technical arcana so that laz can correct me

(i'm not saying that people get scaled worse in advanced than they do in standard. I'm saying that they scale up the aligned marks for advanced eng so you appear to have gone well on your hsc certificate- which has no effect on ur uai)

scarlet

HSC
N/A
It is near impossible to get a band 5 let alone a band 6 in standard. If you do standard, it's because you either don't like English or don't need it to count as an entry requirement for uni. Advanced - it might be easier to get a band 5 or 6 if you are talented... but if you don't do well in Advanced, it will be just as bad as if you didn't do well in Standard. My tip - for what it's worth... do what you like and what you are good at. At the end of the day, you are the person who has to sit the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)