• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

engagements (1 Viewer)

HSC
My bf and I are engaged to be engaged....it wont be happening for a while yet, altough i definately do one day.

My grandmother said that you should go out for 2 years, be engaged for 2 years and then get married.

My mum and dad got married when he was 22 and mum was 20, which is pretty young.

There are 2 kids in my brothers year (year 10) that are "engaged".

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
^Haha, then according to that, I'm overdue and should only really have one year left until I get married.

Pressure.

HSC
N/A
Snow Pea! said:
mmk.
well the 2nd time this term someone in my classes has gotten engaged.
shes 18.
so was the other gal.
they are good mates.

anyhoo..

what do you guys think about early engagements? and how many of you have younger mates that are engaged now?

alot of my friends are getting engaged and whatnot.. but i havent even gotten a bf yet :/ haha

so what do you guys think about it all?
About 4 girls in my HSC year got engaged. Ring and everything. Did any of them marry? No. Were they all still together a year after the engagement? No.

The only person I know who recently got engaged and then married (and is the same age as me) was a schoolfriend who ended up getting pregnant and decided to keep the baby (they got married when she was 5months along).

HSC
A girl I used to work with got married at the beginning of this year, they are both 20 and she has just given birth to a little boy. They also live together, not renting, but are actually paying off the house.

I cant imagine myself doing that quite yet.

Zoe 2508

HSC
have any of these people lived together? they are what, like 17/18??

They are so idealistic, but once school ends and reality hits hard, they may reconsider.

Stepping out of the confines of high school and home (with mums cooking) can be a

daunting thing, and the cutesy high school engagements never look promising

w00dy.

HSC
one of my friends from school is engaged. and she is only 17. she has been with her now fiance for a little over a year...i think and has been living with since the start of the school year this year.

alot of people have taken a mixed reaction to it. i guess that is possibly quiet normal considering, her age and all.

but than again this is all from a girl who said in year 9 that she wanted kids, before she had left school.

but it is ultimately their choice. whether or not it works for them. i honestly dont mind. i just know that i wont be around to say i told you so if it falls apart. (that may sound harsh i know)

you know its strange in a way. adults are always the ones to say that us teenagers dont know the real meaning of love. its more so infactuation. yet if we ask our parents or people we know how old they were when they got married. they too were sometimes married at a young age.

we can sit here and give advice and express opinions on things such as engagements at a young age. but thats it. in ways we are only expressing those opinions. and it is realistically up to those out there in situations similar to those outlined in this forum whether or not they step outside the box.

judging by the forum engagements at a young age are looking as though the latest fashion statement. a passing fad that will work for those who make it. and wont for those who dont.

i say. first experience the real world. outside school. it is then that a real decision could be made.

but every circumstance or situation is different.

Ennaoj

HSC
Zoe 2508 said:
have any of these people lived together? they are what, like 17/18??

They are so idealistic, but once school ends and reality hits hard, they may reconsider.

Stepping out of the confines of high school and home (with mums cooking) can be a

daunting thing, and the cutesy high school engagements never look promising
I have actually lived out of home and are quite capable of living without 'mum's cooking' and the confines of highschool. Daunting as it may be, my partner and i met out of school, and i don't believe that all engagements never look promising. Fair enough that other people's circumstances are different to mine though.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
Waiting for the right person is the most important (and hardest) part about settling down, but it's worth the wait in the end. I think part of the reason most people want to settle down is because they don't want to mess around with a slew of other relationships. That’s fine, but it's important to remember that you can still date without taking those extra, more serious steps.

Anyway, I have a 20-year old cousin who had recently engaged to a guy she’s been dating for four years. She recently became pregnant and as soon as he found out, he had dumped her. But then, I also have another friend whose became engaged at a young age too, but the guy's she's with has been with her for seven years.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)