engineering 1st yr flexi - courses? (1 Viewer)

Toffee Helvetti

HSC
What courses should I choose to broaden my options if I'm considering Photovoltaic, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical or Biomedical.

Also, are there 'mandatory' courses i have to do in first year regardless of what engineering i'm doing?

thanks

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I strongly advise against choosing the Flexible First-Year stream.
It will tempt you to deviate from your desired plan you will eventually select by second year.
But pretty much every first year engineering student must do mathematics, physics, computing and design.

For greatest flexibility, I recommend the 'traditional' degrees such as Civil, Electrical or Mechanical rather than Mechatronics, Aerospace, Photovoltaic, etc as those 'traditional' degrees are more general.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Yep, flexible first year engineering seems to be a way to attract the undecided people to enroll thinking that they're going have more choice and more time to decide. In fact, most people I know who have gone through with it after first/second year regret it because they were a bit too 'flexible' with their choices and now they're behind on the engineering stream that they actually want to be in. (e.g. elec1111 being prereq for a lot of electrical engineering subjects, if you don't do it in first year, you might fall behind in second year if you want to do electrical engineering)

If you don't know what stream you want to be in, have a look at the plan for each stream, pick a few that you might be interested in, and make sure you at least follow one of the plans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)