engineering assesment help me plz (1 Viewer)

sauce2k5

HSC
we got an engineering assesment where we have to make a plane dat glides at least 10metres...it has to be hand thrown so no motors can be used...and u can use any material desired...i have absolutely no ideas so if any1 can help i would highly apreciate it..

thanks

KevinCooper

a paper airplane might do quite nicely... low budget, quick and easy to assemble, aerodynamic :)

hi, i'm a UTS engineering student, and went to Penrith High School, we recently had a project of building a wind powered car that moved into the wind source, and had to carry a load. and it was the best ratio of weight vs. time over 2m that would win.. we came second.
although our design was semi complex, we had to think of the most efficient way of transfering the wind from the fan, through our turbine, and into forward motion, while keeping a thought on aerodynamics so the vehicle didn't get pushed back by the wind.

what you need to think about in your design is how much lift you can get, cause 10 metres can be a long way for a small craft.
if you have a large piece of foam handy, you could carve out a glider, make a large wingspan, make sure the wings are shaped correctly, and it should work.

i hope i've been of some help

edit: something like this http://www.guillow.com/GuillowDetail.asp?UID=1603617&prod=2645-1&SeriesId=15&FamilyId=3
but build it yourself :p the foam will give it some weight so it there's any wind it shouldn't get blown around either, so just give it a big throw into the air :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)