Engineering dilemma (1 Viewer)

Joshmosh2

HSC
Here's the situation..
From the half yearly exam, I was ranked 2nd out of around 30 kids. My cohort is really weak and my teacher is irresponsible, being away for over two weeks. My only competition is another person, who is away for over half of the time. I am the only 3U student amongst a class that mostly does gen math. I am considering dropping engineering for 4U math.
Is it better to stay for year 12 as ranked 1 in a very weak cohort, or move to a more competitive subject (4U)?

astroman

HSC
i suggest u do 4u over engineering, engineering is very broad and pretty time consuming, you also mention that your teacher sucks and it away, if this is the case and u know u can't grasp concepts urself, drop it and do 4u.

astroman

HSC
engo involves primarily civil, mechanical and aerospace engineering, it will be beneficial if you did engineering studies if u want to do similar uni degrees.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
engo involves primarily civil, mechanical and aerospace engineering, it will be beneficial if you did engineering studies if u want to do similar uni degrees.
not at all. The HSC course is watered down to suit everyone; not just the ones with superior mathematical backgrounds

I didn't do HSC engo studies and aside from the fact I failed PHYS1A, I am doing quite well at uni

astroman

HSC
ppl say that if u do 4u u should be spending 50% of ur time on 4u or something like that

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
ppl say that if u do 4u u should be spending 50% of ur time on 4u or something like that
well roughly about that yeah. 4 units means 4/10 units of your ATAR so yes you should be putting in roughly half your time into 2/3/4U maths. Don't neglect your other subjects either

Garuda88

HSC
I have the same dilemma too (first in the class with an 80%!). My engineering teacher doesn't even teach us; he just dumps us worksheets to work and read off. He even thinks that brass is an element!

If your cohort is weak, and your ranked first/second with a band 5 (like me), this will scale horribly when it comes to your ATAR. Your cohort will drag you down, and it doesn't help if you have a crappy teacher because engineering studies is an extremely broad area (it literally has subjects within the subject of engineering).

Your marks in 4 Unit will definitely scale better than engineering. However, moving into 4U is very hard though (as 4U is arguably the most difficult subject). If you feel very confident of doing 4U and you consistently achieve marks of 90+ (band 6) in 3 Unit, then go for it.

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Do 4u, If I had the chance, I would do 4u instead of engineering when i did my hsc.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Do both, or don't do the one you like least.

Also, are you considering engineering in university? If so, both 4U and possibly Engineering studies will be helpful (not sure though as I never did it for HSC and have no idea what the syllabus is like).

4U though is definitely helpful and will leave you in a good state for doing engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)