Engineering fields (1 Viewer)

angrygeorge

HSC
Hey guys i am just curious about the various engineering courses and would like some insight mainly into chemical, mining and petroleum.

Maths, physics and chemistry are my favourite subjects, I enjoy using my hands but also don't mind office work, aiming for a 99+ ATAR

Some questions are:

1) Regarding these three fields, to what degree must you move after you graduate for jobs. I mean do you go live in a remote area in let's say NT (mining), or do you live at/near an offshore drilling rig for petroleum? I have no idea where chemical engineers carry out their job, so some info would be really good regarding where I would end up going and for how long (like how does the roster work)

2) Which course requires the most maths?

3) Are the courses generally enjoyable? Are they better/worse than expected before entering uni? Do they involve a lot of science or does it focus a lot of the commercial side of engineering like management, costs etc?

4)From what I have heard mining and petroleum have generally pretty good job prospects and pay, but what about chemical engineering? I have heard they are in demand and have also heard they have a hard time getting a job so very confused in this part.

5)Is the advanced engineering course worth taking up? It just says I do a year of innovative research or something like that but is it someting that employers would find favourable in an employee?

Thanks heaps for any input. (BTW I am new to using bored of studies)

undalay

HSC
Hey guys i am just curious about the various engineering courses and would like some insight mainly into chemical, mining and petroleum.

Maths, physics and chemistry are my favourite subjects, I enjoy using my hands but also don't mind office work, aiming for a 99+ ATAR

Some questions are:

1) Regarding these three fields, to what degree must you move after you graduate for jobs. I mean do you go live in a remote area in let's say NT (mining), or do you live at/near an offshore drilling rig for petroleum? I have no idea where chemical engineers carry out their job, so some info would be really good regarding where I would end up going and for how long (like how does the roster work)

2) Which course requires the most maths?

3) Are the courses generally enjoyable? Are they better/worse than expected before entering uni? Do they involve a lot of science or does it focus a lot of the commercial side of engineering like management, costs etc?

4)From what I have heard mining and petroleum have generally pretty good job prospects and pay, but what about chemical engineering? I have heard they are in demand and have also heard they have a hard time getting a job so very confused in this part.

5)Is the advanced engineering course worth taking up? It just says I do a year of innovative research or something like that but is it someting that employers would find favourable in an employee?

Thanks heaps for any input. (BTW I am new to using bored of studies)
Hey George,
I attained a 99+ UAI, and ended up doing B ChemEng at usyd.
Here are my thoughts. Don't focus too much on your career right now, do something you enjoy. I think mining/petroleum/chemical are all fairly similar. Chemical is more broad and all. of mining/petroleum companies hire chemical engineerings.

Bchemeng at usyd has a very very good structure. I've enjoyed all my subjects. My favourite subject at the end of the HSC (chemistry) became my least favourite at the end of year 2 semester 2. Why? Practical application of sciences is much more interesting to me. (And chemistry requires alot of memorisation)

Advanced Eng at Usyd
- YES definitely worth it. Plenty of soft skills to learn.
First year you can replace Chem or Math with advanced eng (not recommended)
I recommend overloading every year for advanced subjects!

Year 1 - Design project (We built a life sized electric car from stratch)
Year 2 - Business Plan
Year 3 - Education (Teaching highschools about engineering apparently)
Year 4 - Industry project (Project sponsored by industrial companies)

Do 3 years worth of advanced engineerign subjects - come out with a B Engineerign (advanced).

I just stress - UNI is for learning. Don't focus on the career. Try to LEARN and experience as much as possible. Enjoy yourself as mcuh as possible.

PM me if you have any other specific questions.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
im 3rd year chemical engineering unsw.

Dont think about your career just yet its a good 5-6years away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)