Engineering for Humanitarian Aid (1 Viewer)

igotoschool

HSC
Which branch of engineering would you recommend for aiding, growing, supporting, sustaining e.t.c. developing countries?
I understand that many branches of eng will help to build communities, but anyone have other input?

I would love to get into engineering for humanitarian reasons but not sure which direction to go

Simorgh

HSC
Defs Bio-Med or Civil Engineering. Lot of nations especially in Asia and Africa lack sufficient health and construction standards.

For instance when there is an earthquake somewhere like recently few years back in Nepal, the housing and infrastructure was not capable of withstanding an Earthquake and this consequently led to many thousands of casualties when this could have been prevented! Especially in emergency type situation like natural disasters, Civil Engineers need to come up with urgent and sufficient solutions in order to temporarily house people who have lost their homes and families and to also provide temporary hospitals.

Moreover Bio-Med is an interesting one, its vital industry for the future wellbeing of mankind wherever they may be. Unfortunately in many countries there is a technological gap, especially if you witness the substandard conditions in many Hospital and Medical Clinics in those countries. They are years behind and would be benefited if they had more Bio-Med Engineers to advance their health care treatments and end the gap in life expectancy with wealthier nations.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say civil or mechanical. Civil can be like construction of rigid houses that dont fall over in a earthquake. Mechanical can be like making designs that can reduce forces of tsunamis etc

D94

HSC
N/A
Certainly civil engineering, it's the foundation of 'shelter', which everyone needs. Civil also extends into environmental, water and wastewater engineering, and they are vital for developing nations.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Sydney Uni offers a major in humanitarian engineering which is a non-stream-specific set of subjects that can be taken with any of the existing streams like civil, mech, chem or electrical.

igotoschool

HSC
I am looking to do a B Eng/ B Arts
so do you know when I'm supposed to pick to do the humanitarian major?

engineering

HSC
N/A
You will pick your primary stream at acceptance/enrolment ( Eg civil or mechanical).

Units for majors don't start usually start till year 2 (or maybe 3 in a combined degree).

Note though that in a combined degree, the program has cut out the engineering electives to fit everything in, and adding a major may mean more than 240 credit points to complete

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)