Engineering in UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

JJ_Lin

HSC
Hi,
I Know this topic is old, but I want to see some new perspectives
I did the research and know UNSW is little better than USYD in rankings. But those rankings are mainly for postgraguate/research basis, not undergraduate's, right?
  1. Also heard these 2 uni are good in some course, but is there an generalisation of which course is better at which uni?
  2. I went to the open day last year, and bloody love the campus and sandstones. But I didn't have the chance to look at the engineering faculty, they look somewhat like a factory, right?. So what about the facility there? Since it is very historical, would the technology and equipment also be old? How is it compare to UNSW?
  3. And how is the job oppotunity after graduated? I heard of UNSW's co-op program, which gives paid work experience in big industry.
  4. Finally, what about the staff-student ratio? Is it lower the better? Average how many people per leture/tuition?
Thanks!

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Hi,
I Know this topic is old, but I want to see some new perspectives

I did the research and know UNSW is little better than USYD in rankings. But those rankings are mainly for postgraguate/research basis, not undergraduate's, right?
  1. Also heard these 2 uni are good in some course, but is there an generalisation of which course is better at which uni?
  2. I went to the open day last year, and bloody love the campus and sandstones. But I didn't have the chance to look at the engineering faculty, they look somewhat like a factory, right?. So what about the facility there? Since it is very historical, would the technology and equipment also be old? How is it compare to UNSW?
  3. And how is the job oppotunity after graduated? I heard of UNSW's co-op program, which gives paid work experience in big industry.
  4. Finally, what about the staff-student ratio? Is it lower the better? Average how many people per leture/tuition?
Thanks!

yes, the buildings look like factories, but some places around uni sydney look like a hole, there are like message boards just randomly around the campus (with messages like 20 years old still on the them, the place didnt really look all that clean lol, and there are some places ( i think it looked like maths/science buildings) which looked like that had layers of dusk on the buildings ( and im pretty sure it wasnt sand from the sandstones)

and UNSW has the ENGG1000 design course first semesters, you learn alot and its a fair bit off fun

Last edited:

konkzz

HSC
I spoke to the senior lecturer teaching project management at UNSW and he gave me his honest opinion. It doesn't really matter. He said that if you are going to strive to do well, then going to either universities is fine. If you're going to be a dropkick, then go home.

Those people who say UNSW is better are just trying to justify their decision to go there and have no basis to it, no matter how much they try to prove. Who gives a crap about rankings, who gives a crap about what people say. I hate fuckin knobs who think one uni is obviously better than the other. It's a fuckin' load of crock.

I have friends that go to both universities and are studying engineering and the things that USYD and UNSW do in terms of engineering is so fuckin' similar that there is really nothing that separates them in terms of what you learn. Though, the engineering faculty at USYD does look like a dump.

Go to which ever one you like better in terms of the atmosphere and social life.

As for graduate opportunities, fuckin' employers aren't going to decide whether you are employed based on which universities you went to.

random-1006

Banned
HSC
I spoke to the senior lecturer teaching project management at UNSW and he gave me his honest opinion. It doesn't really matter. He said that if you are going to strive to do well, then going to either universities is fine. If you're going to be a dropkick, then go home.

Those people who say UNSW is better are just trying to justify their decision to go there and have no basis to it, no matter how much they try to prove. Who gives a crap about rankings, who gives a crap about what people say. I hate fuckin knobs who think one uni is obviously better than the other. It's a fuckin' load of crock.

I have friends that go to both universities and are studying engineering and the things that USYD and UNSW do in terms of engineering is so fuckin' similar that there is really nothing that separates them in terms of what you learn. Though, the engineering faculty at USYD does look like a dump.

Go to which ever one you like better in terms of the atmosphere and social life.

As for graduate opportunities, fuckin' employers aren't going to decide whether you are employed based on which universities you went to.
they will if its like someone at unsw and someone at uws they are deciding between , obviously unsw trumps in that case

ILikesTheSchool

HSC

Well said! :)

konkzz

HSC
That wouldn't necessarily be the case. I don't know about other faculties, but for engineering, they don't look into which university you studied at. All that stuff you learn that university is theoretical and most of it isn't practically used when you work. Whether you go to UNSW, USYD, UTS, UWS or any other university, you learn more or less the same things. What determines ones chances of being employed is his or her experience. They want someone to start being productive from day one. Obviously, when you start off you have to learn the systems and processes but once you pick that up, you become more employable i.e. as you gain more experience. A feasible comparison between universities cannot be made unless you have students studying the same course at both.

For those I know who have studies at UNSW then went on to study at USYD or vice versa, they say it's pretty much the same. You have shit and good lecturers at both, teaching different subjects. I have friends that complain about shitty lecturers at UNSW teaching engo subjects, who can't speak english properly. I have friends who complain about even law lecturers at USYD who cannot teach well.

I can't stress it enough that you should strive to do well more (irrespective of which uni you study at) and really just be happy with other aspects of your life. If you're not happy with where you are at socially, then you won't be motivated to do well.

The logic behind uni choices is a bit stuffed up sometimes and implies that, say, if someone goes to UWS he is screwed for life (a bit exaggerated but you get the picture). Not the case. Apply yourself and put in the hard yards and you will be rewarded. Don't just scrap passes and expect the name of your university to help you carry through job opportunities and life; you will be found out and fucked over.

ar7

HSC
they will if its like someone at unsw and someone at uws they are deciding between , obviously unsw trumps in that case
dude dont be soooooo ignorant. i have spoken with various engineering companies, ranging from electrical, mechanical and chemical and not one gives a rats where you studied. many of the actually recommended i do tafe to get a job ahead of the others who are wanting to study at university. however, im still going to uni in the hope of doing a useful and successful research thesis on what i like.

the key to getting a job as an engineer is by having contacts and getting experience. why do you think uts has a better employment rate?

JJ_Lin

HSC
That wouldn't necessarily be the case. I don't know about other faculties, but for engineering, they don't look into which university you studied at. All that stuff you learn that university is theoretical and most of it isn't practically used when you work. Whether you go to UNSW, USYD, UTS, UWS or any other university, you learn more or less the same things. What determines ones chances of being employed is his or her experience. They want someone to start being productive from day one. Obviously, when you start off you have to learn the systems and processes but once you pick that up, you become more employable i.e. as you gain more experience. A feasible comparison between universities cannot be made unless you have students studying the same course at both.

For those I know who have studies at UNSW then went on to study at USYD or vice versa, they say it's pretty much the same. You have shit and good lecturers at both, teaching different subjects. I have friends that complain about shitty lecturers at UNSW teaching engo subjects, who can't speak english properly. I have friends who complain about even law lecturers at USYD who cannot teach well.

I can't stress it enough that you should strive to do well more (irrespective of which uni you study at) and really just be happy with other aspects of your life. If you're not happy with where you are at socially, then you won't be motivated to do well.

The logic behind uni choices is a bit stuffed up sometimes and implies that, say, if someone goes to UWS he is screwed for life (a bit exaggerated but you get the picture). Not the case. Apply yourself and put in the hard yards and you will be rewarded. Don't just scrap passes and expect the name of your university to help you carry through job opportunities and life; you will be found out and fucked over.
Thanks, that was really helpful!

hscishard

HSC
A degree is a degree. The quality of work experience required for the completion of the course which I'm not sure, are different. I heard UTS is the best one in this sector.

UNSW USYD. Both excellent Unis for Eng. What I would do is, apply for a scholarship and co-op programs at each uni, and go to which ever pays more :)

UTS is another option, it's cut off is lower I think.

laa.musique

Executive Member
HSC
usyd is better. the campus is amazing. you're not always in the 'factory' side of the uni, you will occassionally be in the law building etc etc which is all lovely. more importantly the lecturers are better :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)