Engineering Job Prospects? (1 Viewer)

Web Addict

HSC
Hi.

The UAC applications are fast approaching their due date, so I need to made my decision quickly.

I'm undecided as to what course I want to do. I'm leaning towards either engineering or actuary.

So, I need to ask the questions: Are the job prospects for engineering good? Does it depend on the type of engineering I do? Would a double degree be helpful? Also, if double degrees are beneficial, which forms the best combination with engineering?

Thank you.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi.

So, I need to ask the questions: Are the job prospects for engineering good? Does it depend on the type of engineering I do? Would a double degree be helpful? Also, if double degrees are beneficial, which forms the best combination with engineering?

Thank you.
imo, yeah it depends on the type of engineering
and i think engineerig + commerce is the best combination, but i can't be bothered stay (minimum)5.5 yrs at uni

Web Addict

HSC
imo, yeah it depends on the type of engineering
and i think engineerig + commerce is the best combination, but i can't be bothered stay (minimum)5.5 yrs at uni
Why types of engineers have better job prospects? Also, can you please explain why engineering and commerce is the best combination?

D94

HSC
N/A
Um... I don't know which engineering I want to do let alone if I want to do engineering.
Well it's important to know which one you want to do, if you want to do it, because mining engineering is completely different to electrical engineering, which is completely different to mechanical engineering etc. I might suggest mining and management to be a good combination (just an example) with great money and good job prospects, but if you have zero interest, you won't get far in the industry should you even be able to get through half the degree.

What is it about engineering that interests you? Similarly, what is it about actuarial studies that interests you? Do you even know what each field does? Do you know what you will be learning at university?

failwhale

HSC
job prospects don't mean jack, i mean if you're not standing out from the rest of your cohort who is willing to hire you?

Web Addict

HSC
Well it's important to know which one you want to do, if you want to do it, because mining engineering is completely different to electrical engineering, which is completely different to mechanical engineering etc. I might suggest mining and management to be a good combination (just an example) with great money and good job prospects, but if you have zero interest, you won't get far in the industry should you even be able to get through half the degree.

What is it about engineering that interests you? Similarly, what is it about actuarial studies that interests you? Do you even know what each field does? Do you know what you will be learning at university?
Ok. You've got me rethinking right now.

job prospects don't mean jack, i mean if you're not standing out from the rest of your cohort who is willing to hire you?
Shouldn't job prospects play a slight role in your decision (although it may not be a large one)? Take aeronautical engineering, for example. A lot of people I know tend to avoid that course because of the limited job positions in Australia.

HSC
N/A
Thanks for reply. could the fact that it is in the hunter region (large mining area) help with job prospects? Any other people with information would be greatly appreciated.........

Educational/Local Service

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)