• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineering -> Law (concerning the practicality of a transfer) (1 Viewer)

anthonykang

Hi people, i need some advice and suggestions on how i want to achieve my goal. That is, to do law at unsw because:
1. I like the uni
2. All i've ever wanted to do is Law

Currently the one thing that prevents me from simultaneously achieving both objectives immediatly - is my uai (94.65) Which isn't even enough to get me a full-fee placement.(or is it?) I'm very dissappointed with myself because i know that if i actually tried i could have gotten at least a 97 and if i really applied myself maybe even a 99+. Oh well no point regreting what's done is done.

Anyways, i was having a whinge and a cry for not getting 95+ and thus my life being over yaddalada, when my friend suggested that i do a engineering course and transfer. I thought, 'why not,' i killed my 3u math (94) did alright in 4u (87) and did physics (81). So i see this as a path of redemption for me, the sweat that should have been shed this year i'll shed next year.

Now i ask, is it really that hard to transfer? Is my choice a good choice? I consider myself a natural at math, etc and personally i don't really mind doing an engineering course. Also what kind of engineering course would be advisable to undertake considering my "knack" at math.

I'm looking at computer engineering and software engineering, because they require a uai that relatively close to my uai. Or should i actually be pursueing a course that requires a 80ish? Will this affect my transfer?

Also is it true that you can be accelerated after transferring?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Whenever someone asks about transfers, usually I say it is much easier to get good marks in the HSC and make it in first time; as opposed to getting good grades in uni to make the transfer. That aside- you will have to do really well to get a transfer, because your UAI is quite far off.

As for you 'killing' 3U, 4U math and physics- your marks aren't quite the 'killed it' variety. I got 96 in 3U- and I still not confident in it:p(but thats just me). But if you are good at maths then you should do good in engineering.

I think you should keep other doors open, in case you can't transfer. Think about what other options you would like- pursue these, study hard in uni- and then at the end of the year- see if you really still want to transfer. You mighta changed your mind by then- who knows?

Anyways thats my 2cents worth, hope you can find something useful in there

ace

is retired
HSC
anthonykang said:
I'm looking at computer engineering and software engineering.
Well Software Engineering is not all maths, or physics. Math's in the first session, Computing and Software later on.

I suggest Comp Sci for you, if you do well enough, think about a Comp Sci/Law transfer.

But since your heart is really set on Law, probably talk to some of the uni advisors and get other opinions. Don't just go for a course, that your friend suggested.

Also, engineering is alot harder than you think, your 3unit/4unit math marks, literally mean SQUAT. Uni math is nothing like HSC math, hsc math to uni math is a joke, that said, have fun.

Last edited:

anthonykang

I'm not boasting about my math marks, rather i have the knack of doing math, i've always been good at math and no concepts are too hard to understand - at least not yet. I litreally studied one and a half days for my 3U math exam (between 4u and 3u). Bah that's all irrelevent. I seem to want to do civil engineering because it's based around construction and all that, but i pretty much have no idea on how the course is like. What's comp sci like?

If i do a low uai course such a civil eng, then will that be detremental to my transfer prospects?

And just how good would my uni marks be? The thing is - let's just say i didn't exactally have the best "lifestyle" this year and my social circle was a (un)contributing factor in my uai. I will change that next year and i am confident that i can achieve the marks i need as long as i have a goal to word towards.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
As for you 'killing' 3U, 4U math and physics- your marks aren't quite the 'killed it' variety. I got 96 in 3U- and I still not confident in it:p(but thats just me). But if you are good at maths then you should do good in engineering.
Haha I agree, I got 96 and consider it a fuck up.
*shrugs

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
anthonykang said:
And just how good would my uni marks be?
In all honesty, totally impossible to predict. Uni is a different learning style, and your marks depend on your diligence and hard you are willing to work.

And also, anthonykang: you mentioned you might be able to get 99+ if you really worked hard. Let me tell you; the majority of combined law people are very smart- and even if you were to make the transfer, it may be a tough time trying to keep up- someone has to fail right? I'm not trying to discourage you, but yes, the competition is going to be very tough- judging by your comments about your UAI and as such. Just a thought there

Last edited:

Mumma

HSC
I dont know about transfer but if you did 4U maths... maybe youll like engineering? Engineering = maths basically.

anthonykang

Right, thanks guys. I'm entertaining the possibility, the thing is i know i would've gotten the marks required if i had woken up earlier, but i didn't - so now instead of just regretting i'm taking the optimistic view.

I'm afraid that you guys really have no idea just how different my lifestyle was.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hi anthonykang, the UAI cut off for the course you choose at uni will not be taken into account to your success in transferring to law.

As to how well you have to perform at uni, I'd say about a mid to high Distinction average. (80+).

Affinity

HSC
since you would have to take a combined program to take law, you should choose something you would like to do, and as timmy said I think you should keep your options open.

Comp Eng is quite different from Soft Eng, the former seems more technical and the latter (from what I heard) involves substantial communication and report writing assessments.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
thats' true, more report writing and formal methods to developments. Around 50% of software engineering degree is devoted towards the actual computing COMP subjects. Supposedly, another 30% goes to INFS, 10% goes to maths, and 10% goes to SENG workshops.

These seng workshops might only consist of few units, but I heard horror stories of tons of codes and documentations and people failing.. That said, seng is not for the faint hearted.

ace

is retired
HSC
anthonykang said:
I will change that next year and i am confident that i can achieve the marks i need as long as i have a goal to word towards.
Ok, let's ignore the course you pick at the moment. When your at university, you'll need to get a Distinction+ average at least, to even be viable for a transfer. In addition to that, you'll need a UAI to match, yours is 94.65.

So unless you can get a Distinction average, which is alot harder than it sounds, be careful in what you pick, cause why waste a year; or in the worst case why waste a degree doing something you don't really want to do.

ace

is retired
HSC
anthonykang said:
I'm afraid that you guys really have no idea just how different my lifestyle was.
I'm afraid your really under-estimating the amount of work University is.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
so true.. i am just scraping by with a distinction average and all that work i put in (others can testify to that)

okay.. its pretty close to a HD average but its distinction average nonetheless:p

Lainee

HSC
anthonykang said:
Hi people, i need some advice and suggestions on how i want to achieve my goal. That is, to do law at unsw because:
1. I like the uni
2. All i've ever wanted to do is Law

Currently the one thing that prevents me from simultaneously achieving both objectives immediatly - is my uai (94.65) Which isn't even enough to get me a full-fee placement.(or is it?) I'm very dissappointed with myself because i know that if i actually tried i could have gotten at least a 97 and if i really applied myself maybe even a 99+. Oh well no point regreting what's done is done.

Anyways, i was having a whinge and a cry for not getting 95+ and thus my life being over yaddalada, when my friend suggested that i do a engineering course and transfer. I thought, 'why not,' i killed my 3u math (94) did alright in 4u (87) and did physics (81). So i see this as a path of redemption for me, the sweat that should have been shed this year i'll shed next year.

Now i ask, is it really that hard to transfer? Is my choice a good choice? I consider myself a natural at math, etc and personally i don't really mind doing an engineering course. Also what kind of engineering course would be advisable to undertake considering my "knack" at math.

I'm looking at computer engineering and software engineering, because they require a uai that relatively close to my uai. Or should i actually be pursueing a course that requires a 80ish? Will this affect my transfer?

Also is it true that you can be accelerated after transferring?

I don't know anything about how much you need to transfer or what course you should choose. But I wanted to ask you a question: how would you feel if, after the first year of your chosen course, you still didn't have enough to transfer into law? Would you be content to finish your first degree and consider graduate law?

Dissapointment when you try really really hard for something and miss is much much worse then having an excuse that 'I could have tried harder'. Think a year ahead into your future and the possibilities you face if you fail to transfer into law even then.... and -then- make your decision. At least if you do face dissapointment, it was a scenario you've already considered as a possibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)