Engineering+ Maths Dual Degree at UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW has like 2 or 3 pure maths honours students and gave out 1 medal.

USYD has like 10 pure maths honours students and gave out 2 medals.

Seems like you guys give out a higher percentage?
nice try m8

conveniently forget to mention no applied or stats people get medals

https://student.unsw.edu.au/prizes-2015

How many people in the entire Honours cohort at UNSW got a Medal last year? One.

http://sydney.edu.au/about-us/our-story/prizes-and-honour-roll.html

How many people in the entire Honours cohort at USyd got a Medal last year? Eight.

game set match, unsw.

we da best

pHyRe

HSC
Yeah what about it? It doesn't say anywhere that they average is 70.

yes it does, open up the gumleaf mark distribution. the average subject's average grade is 70

pHyRe

HSC
nice try m8

How many people in the entire Honours cohort at UNSW got a Medal last year? One.

How many people in the entire Honours cohort at USyd got a Medal last year? Eight.

game set match, unsw.

we da best
hahah dude you need a life i see on these threads so much just trying to bash usyd maths

probably due to some inferiority complex

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
hahah dude you need a life i see on these threads so much just trying to bash usyd maths

even if true, at least we don't hand out university medals - the highest undergraduate academic honour possible - like freebie candy

D94

HSC
N/A
yes it does, open up the gumleaf mark distribution. the average subject's average grade is 70
Can you even read a graph?

That distribution excludes the fail grades. It even says "Cumulative Proportion of All Passes".

Around 6% of grades are fail grades. The average is definitely lower than 70.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

That distribution excludes the fail grades. It even says "Cumulative Proportion of All Passes".

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to D94 again."

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

>starts talking shit
>haha you need a life XDDDDDDDDDD when his arguments fail

btw #unswmasterrace

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
nice try m8

game set match, unsw.

we da best
No applied or stats medals were given out.

You literally listed medals from across ALL OF SCIENCE.

sida1049

HSC
Like you can have UNSW pride or whatever, but when giving out advice don't put your own bias into it and claim facts, e.g. that USYD gives out more maths medals when in fact UNSW has a higher percentage of medals.
^ 100% this.

Unless if we give objective, factual information, or at the very least acknowledge that we may possibly be biased in our own perceptions of uni, then we are responsible for the wasted years and thousands of dollars of tuition fees poor, innocent students may incur from following irresponsible advice. Seriously. Some students can't afford the financial repercussions.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
No applied or stats medals were given out.

You literally listed medals from across ALL OF SCIENCE.
I think its 8 people doing a bachelor of science (adv math) instead of just science (adv), but i know for a fact some of them didn't get their university medals for math honours.

I don't know how relevant these stats are from 2000, but i doubt they've changed dramatically. It's also a distribution for people with passes and above.

http://www.liquisearch.com/academic_grading_in_australia/tertiary_institutions/university_of_sydney

You also have to consider UNSW passes some of the people above 46 if they're feeling nice and just looking at that, it seems like the median for 35% of people from UNSW get distinctions and over where its only around 14-18% for USYD.

pHyRe

HSC

and usyds average of passing students is 65

http://i.imgur.com/aQj3KdE.png

as librah pointed out

pHyRe

HSC
even if true, at least we don't hand out university medals - the highest undergraduate academic honour possible - like freebie candy
yeah, thats really relevant for the majority of people

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think its 8 people doing a bachelor of science (adv math) instead of just science (adv), but i know for a fact some of them didn't get their university medals for math honours.
Do you know why they still get listed as getting the University Medal?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Yep that's right. I know most people on that list of 8 medallists, and I know for a fact that only 2 of them did honours in maths. The others did either computer science, chemistry, or physics honours.

from a source that is from 16 years ago... please

In no way does that show unsw inflates their grades.
I think it is quite possible that UNSW maths has slightly inflated grades, the dux of UNSW maths even thinks it himself. Though this obviously isn't proof, but I would definitely be surprised if there isn't any at all.

It's done by degree. They are all listed under the Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) degree because that is the degree they graduated with. It just means they did a major in maths in third year. It is completely possible (and happened for 6 out of the 8 listed) to do your second major in something else like physics, then do honours in physics, then top honours and get the medal for physics, yet be listed under advance maths as that is your degree.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
from a source that is from 16 years ago... please

In no way does that show unsw inflates their grades.
Theres a more recent one from 2013 floating around somewhere on google, if you type in the correct thing that has essentially the same stats. Though thats around when they introduced a new policy where they actually weren't allowed to use scaling for any subjects. Whereas i know at UNSW they scale the advanced subjects quite regularly and sometimes the regular/lower streams down. For science/math that is.

yeah what realise said, the medal systems a bit different from UNSW, since they list medals based on specific subjects while USYD lists it on degrees, so some subject areas might not even get medals but it looks like UNSW just gives it regardless to the most distinguished person in the fields.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Theres a more recent one from 2013 floating around somewhere on google, if you type in the correct thing that has essentially the same stats. Though thats around when they introduced a new policy where they actually weren't allowed to use scaling for any subjects. Whereas i know at UNSW they scale the advanced subjects quite regularly and sometimes the regular/lower streams down. For science/math that is.
It's scaling for the higher versions of certain courses, not 'advanced' courses. Not all advanced courses have both a higher and normal version. Both versions are graded together, which means it's quite normal for the higher version to be scaled appropriately. Please don't make it sound like UNSW just bumps everyone's marks up by like 20%. That doesn't happen. If scaling occurs, it's rarely done by the course convener. It's done by a committee who scrutinises the assessments and exams to ensure the marks were appropriately awarded. In most courses, your final mark is your raw mark.

yeah what realise said, the medal systems a bit different from UNSW, since they list medals based on specific subjects while USYD lists it on degrees, so some subject areas might not even get medals but it looks like UNSW just gives it regardless to the most distinguished person in the fields.
No, UNSW awards based on the degree, just like USYD. In this context, the medal for pure mathematics was actually a medal for adv mathematics where the student's major was in pure mathematics. If their major was applied, then it would have said applied. Another example is the student who got a medal in Business Economics. Their medal was the commerce medal, but their major was business economics. Only 1 commerce student received a medal. They are the most distinguished students in each program, not each major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)