Engineering Maths (1 Viewer)

omnipotent

HSC
Well my douchy year 10 self decided that I didn't need to do maths to get into law. Since then i've changed my mind and am aiming towards engineering.

So, in the engineering courses, for example electrical, what would be the assumed mathematical knowledge?
Is the entirety of the three unit course relevant, or could I skip over certain topics?
Thanks in advance

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
Hey dude, I only did 2unit maths and got band 5 for my hsc.
I went to UTS and did a subject called 'foundation maths' where they get u ready for the 1st year maths subject 'mathematical modelling 1'.

It was really quite easy and I think I could have easily done it without the foundation maths subject first.

Not all of the 3unit stuff is needed, for instance I don't think you need to know probability, t-formula, binomial.

If you are good at calculus and trig you should be fine.

Here's a link to the maths mod 1 page:

UTS:33130 Mathematical Modelling 1 - Science,UTS Handbook 2010

omnipotent

HSC
Thanks for the info Frenzal The thing is I didn't even pick up 2unit, so I'm planning on dong it in my own time between now and uni next year.
ohexploitable, I could do that, but i'd have to do bridging for 2unit and 3 unit, and I'm not too sure how they work.

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the info Frenzal The thing is I didn't even pick up 2unit, so I'm planning on dong it in my own time between now and uni next year.
ohexploitable, I could do that, but i'd have to do bridging for 2unit and 3 unit, and I'm not too sure how they work.
ok, so you're doing General maths are you? It could be hard to get into an engineering degree without at least having done 2unit mathematics. But it must be possible coz I know there are some ppl in my year who only did general in yr 12 and are now doing engineering at UTS.

If you enjoy maths, then you should be fine, use the long holidays to study up on 2unit maths, then just enrol in a foundation maths subject, and you'll be fine after that.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If possible, try to teach yourself the whole 4unit course...it'll help you in first year.

omnipotent

HSC
Lulz at someone with no maths knowledge trying to teach themsevles 4unit.
I have maths knowledge. We had a sub sometime last term for physics so my friend taught me differentiation and I found it fairly simple, and I could've undertaken the 4u course had I done maths in year 11. I do not even do general maths, but that stuff is just year 10 level maths from looking at their exam papers.

Do the universities have a requirement that you do a certain maths course to get in? Or do they just assume you have the knowledge?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
maths ext1 is usually assumed knowledge (if not recommended) for engineering, usually u can do a bridging course.

i did maths adv in hsc (2u), no ext 1, and i did a bridging course in feb (month before uni started) and it proved helpful for me.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
He wouldn'y know if he likes maths or not because he has never done any.
7-10 don't count?
I have maths knowledge. We had a sub sometime last term for physics so my friend taught me differentiation and I found it fairly simple, and I could've undertaken the 4u course had I done maths in year 11. I do not even do general maths, but that stuff is just year 10 level maths from looking at their exam papers.

Do the universities have a requirement that you do a certain maths course to get in? Or do they just assume you have the knowledge?
They assume you know it. And lol differentiation is like saying u can add up 1+1

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
It might be hard to get into engineering then because usually the requirement is at least 2unit maths (nearly always recommended 3unit maths).

If you do some how get into an engineering degree (it could still be possible, have a look at different courses on the net) then like I said before, borrow a 2unit textbook from your school and study study study, BOS is the best place to get help if you get stuck with some questions.

twistedrebel

HSC
you can get in, just study at the end of the holidays and you'll be fine.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I think what he's trying to say is that 4 Unit Maths is demanding, and to make the most of it you need to enjoy it. From the sounds of it you didn't enjoy Maths at all, so 4 Unit Maths doesn't sound like it would have been your cup of tea.

pman

Banned
HSC
UOW offers MATH010 if you haven't done 2u HSC...you end up a bit behind in 2nd yr but apparently you can get by but still, go do law

Last edited:

mahdi

HSC
Seriously but.
GTFO of engineering before i kick your teeth in.
leave him alone man, who are you to say he cant do engineering. but omnipotent its gonna be fucking hard for you. most uni's say 3 unit is assumed knowledge but you can get by with a GOOD understanding of 2 unit. I would like to say get a 2unit textbook and you will be fine - but its not that simple.

As soon as school finishes get a good tutor who is willing to tutor atleast 2 (atleast!) days a week, and learn 2unit! but dont worry about the stuff you dont need (like probability and sequences and series).

For first year engineering maths you should know differentiation and integration like the back of your hand. And you will also need to know curve sketching and algebra (which is learnt before yr 12).

good luck ! and btw, even though you wanted to do law, wtf were you thinking not choosing maths! Its a vital part of life!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)