Engineering Question/Answer Textbook/Website Source Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

lemon1

HSC
Hello guys, I'm looking for an Engineering book particularly based on the things we need for the Preliminary/HSC course. All those mechanical questions you get are all pretty difficult for me, so i need to find a book that explains how to do them properly, or even a website. So basically i need a Text Book that has these questions in it, with the same layout as a maths book, so it tells you 2-3 questions, answers them step by step, and then gives you more questions.

I have an Engineering Mechanics book already (R.K Mullins Engineering Mechanics), although that is filled with all this stuff you don't need to know, and things that are really irreverent to the Preliminary/HSC course.

To the point, could you give me some good websites and sources that you have previously learned from.

Thanks!
:)

wingman

Let's Rock N' Roll
HSC
One of the best books around by John Rochford:

Texts/workbooks John Rochford
Engineering Studies – A Student’s Workbook
Engineering Studies Communication - A Student’s Workbook
Engineering Studies -Typical HSC Questions and Solution

http://www.kjspublications.com.au/

CriminalCrab

HSC
Do you recommend them because you own them?
Please tell me you do coz i really need help on some of the mechanics questions =(
(makes it easier to ask)

wingman

Let's Rock N' Roll
HSC
What do you mean "own them"?

I have no association to these books at all. These books have been around since early 2000's (when i was a student). There are no books more detailed than these, its the last and ONLY books you may ever need for this course.

If you are not sure, please read up on the author John Rochford (hint: he was one of the people who revised the BOS syllabus for Eng St).

Rathaen

HSC
Well, I used Rochford's Student Workbook this year, along with Copeland (Guide to Engineering?), and Excel HSC Engineering, and those three are pretty similar in terms of depth. They all contain some stuff that the other three don't, but they're all concise and cover pretty much everything you need to know. In my opinion though, the Rochford textbook is clearer and less cramped than the others.

When we were learning mechanics though, we used Schlenker/McKern - An Introduction to Engineering Mechanics. It's really old (might be out of print) and it covers a number of things that aren't in the syllabus anymore, so I wouldn't bother getting it unless you run out of questions to do.

BlackKlavier

HSC
I've heard Rochford is good.
Copeland is quite definitive (as it's name suggests) but it lacks in certain details.
Schlenker McKern is fantastic for HSC and Prelim Mechanics
Excel didn't seem all that great to me. has some bugs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)