engineering question (1 Viewer)

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
So I had a bit of a revelation in my double free today while watching the SpaceX launch of Eutelsat and ABS, and that is that I actually flippin love rockets and to work with them would be amazing and so damn cool. So, I'm thinking about changing from physiotherepy at UNI (still in yr12 so haven't applied anywhere as of yet) to engineering (probs areospace), but I haven't done 3 unit maths and am not doing great at 2 unit (slightly dyslexic which is not helping at all). I'm doing alright in physics thoough (yeah, doesn't make sense but hey). Could I take a bridging course, and still enjoy/pass/work with engineering?? Or is it a completely crazy idea and I should land back on Earth again?? Thanks =D

keepLooking

HSC
This is a question that has been asked a couple of times in the past.

The general consensus was if you work hard for math during your long break after HSC and also work very hard during the semester, you may just pull through.

Silly Sausage

HSC
It will be almost impossible to find work in the aerospace industry in Australia.

You should seriously consider your options and think if you really want to do engineering.

Last edited:

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
It will be almost impossible to work in the aerospace industry in Australia.

You should seriously consider your options and think if you really want to do engineering.
I'd move to America or wherever, my physics teacher's son in law is an aerospace engineer and he's had trouble finding work so yeah aware of that to some degree.

Ok, I'll keep mulling it over. Thanks =)

Flop21

HSC
Yeah I did it. It's definitely doable. Do the bridging course though for sure, that's what I did.

You will have to be very strict with your studies, doing the given questions every day.

There's always all the other types of cool engineering, check them out. You could even double science / engineering if you're into science.

Silly Sausage

HSC
If you are able to achieve a solid band 5+ in 2U, university maths should alright if you put in heaps of effort.

Be aware that the physics in university (especially for engineering based mechanics) is COMPLETELY different from high-school physics. No rote learning, memorization and and the exams are pretty much all calculations.
You should have a look at the types of physics you will encounter at the minimum such as: Statics, Dynamics, Mechanics of Solids, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and probably for aero: aerodynamics, orbital mechanics. (not mentioning other engineering orientated subjects e.g. control systems - extremely important in aerospace). See if any of the these interests you.

If you plan on getting your degree in Australia, IMO I'd probably recommend Mechanical Engineering with aerospace electives if they're on offer since it is more broad.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
This is slightly different to the general questions though. Sure if you work hard and stuff you can do ok in engineering at uni, but to get into the space industry is really hard. Even if you move to America, you'll have problems because you're still an Australian citizen (I assume?) and ITAR regulations will prohibit you from being employed in certain roles.

If you do plan on still getting into the space industry and studying here though, I would suggest the Mechanical (Space), Aeronautical (Space) or Mechatronics (Space) degrees that USYD offers. They all require 98+ ATAR (Mechatronics and Aero are much higher than mech), but you can do a normal engineering degree and then transfer to the space stream if you get a 75+ WAM in your first year (which personally I think is easier to do than getting a 98+ ATAR).

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Yeah I did it. It's definitely doable. Do the bridging course though for sure, that's what I did.

You will have to be very strict with your studies, doing the given questions every day.

There's always all the other types of cool engineering, check them out. You could even double science / engineering if you're into science.
Ok, glad to know that someone's done it.

Yeah ok, fair enough.

Ok thanks, defs like science haha

If you are able to achieve a solid band 5+ in 2U, university maths should alright if you put in heaps of effort.

Be aware that the physics in university (especially for engineering based mechanics) is COMPLETELY different from high-school physics. No rote learning, memorization and and the exams are pretty much all calculations.
You should have a look at the types of physics you will encounter at the minimum such as: Statics, Dynamics, Mechanics of Solids, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and probably for aero: aerodynamics, orbital mechanics. (not mentioning other engineering orientated subjects e.g. control systems - extremely important in aerospace). See if any of the these interests you.

If you plan on getting your degree in Australia, IMO I'd probably recommend Mechanical Engineering with aerospace electives if they're on offer since it is more broad.
I've gotten that once, otherwise consistently below 50% =/
Sounds kinda hard...but like if I work hard enough and want to do it then it could work??

Ok, thanks

This is slightly different to the general questions though. Sure if you work hard and stuff you can do ok in engineering at uni, but to get into the space industry is really hard. Even if you move to America, you'll have problems because you're still an Australian citizen (I assume?) and ITAR regulations will prohibit you from being employed in certain roles.

If you do plan on still getting into the space industry and studying here though, I would suggest the Mechanical (Space), Aeronautical (Space) or Mechatronics (Space) degrees that USYD offers. They all require 98+ ATAR (Mechatronics and Aero are much higher than mech), but you can do a normal engineering degree and then transfer to the space stream if you get a 75+ WAM in your first year (which personally I think is easier to do than getting a 98+ ATAR).
Yeah, born here. Augh that's annoying..will look into it.

Ok, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)