Engineering/Science UNSW vs USYD (1 Viewer)

ksubi21

HSC
Im interested in doing Engineering/Science and would like to know which UNI is better in software/computer engineering and in mathematics/statistics.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well UNSW Engineering is clearly the best. For maths, it's arguable - and I'd argue UNSW =P

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Go with UNSW, definitely no competition for computer science/engineering and as Shadowdude said maths is arguable.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh and for the Engineering @ UNSW: Enjoy your non-english speaking project buddies =)

ksubi21

HSC
and what career opportunities are there if i major in mathematics or statistics?

ksubi21

HSC
i mean i know that u can go into finance and become a statistician, but could u just giv me a general overview :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
and what career opportunities are there if i major in mathematics or statistics?
finance and banking, research groups, production companies, education (my favourite one), insurance companies

ksubi21

HSC
for finance and banking would u suggest mathematics or statistics?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
for finance and banking would u suggest mathematics or statistics?
Both. When you do a Bachelor of Science, you can double major.

I'm doing the Bachelor of Science right now, and I intend to major in Pure and Applied Mathematics.

However should you do the BSc, you can choose to major in Statistics and Applied Mathematics. Applied Math has Financial Math in it, which is the reason I recommended it.

Also, you can choose to do an Honours Year, where your topic of choice can be something finance related.

For example, USYD 2012 Honours students can choose to do their Honours in Interest Rate Modelling: http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/HM/AMH3/

ksubi21

HSC
But since its a double degree doesnt that mean that i can only hav one major in both engineering and science?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
But since its a double degree doesnt that mean that i can only hav one major in both engineering and science?
I'm actually not too sure about this. Around the 5th Jan, give USYD and UNSW a call to ask about this.

ksubi21

HSC
alright thanks, and as a usyd student how would u rate the mathematics/statistics program there? is it worth going, and how bad is the engineering program because i always hear that unsw is much better but i dont really know how bad usyd is.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
alright thanks, and as a usyd student how would u rate the mathematics/statistics program there? is it worth going, and how bad is the engineering program because i always hear that unsw is much better but i dont really know how bad usyd is.
I can't help too much with the Engineering, because I only did it for 1 semester before I dropped it.

As for the Maths there, it's actually quite good! My favourite part of it is the Special Studies Program (SSP) that lets you do 2nd Year or extra topics during your First Year.

However, I don't really like the fact that they don't record any lectures, and some subjects (Integral and Differential Calculus) don't have posted lecture notes. I don't know what it's like at UNSW.

Out of 10, I would rate the Mathematics programs 8.

-1 for no recorded lectures (though, a good textbook will suffice)
-1 for having some subjects with no lecture notes

ksubi21

HSC
If you wanna work in finance you do a degree in finance.
not so much in finance, but i want to combine statistics with software engineering.

And if engineering is so great in unsw why is usyd ranked higher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)