Engineering Studies (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
I really want to drop Engineering Studies and I most likely will anyway, but I just wanted a few opinions first. Is there really any point keeping engineering studies as a "2 unit buffer" in case I screw another exam when I'm going to do horribly in the engineering exam anyway (24% in prelim.)? Most teachers recommend keeping it for that reason, but I don't believe I should keep it as I have no interest or desire in the subject and don't plan on showing any interest or desire in it.

Am I better off dropping and just focusing on 10 units?

Thank you! :biggrin:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
When I was in Year 10 I wanted to become an environmental engineer and save the planet so I took engineering studies. Sure, I enjoyed the stuff that was taught but the content was still a bit dry. There's not too much resources to help students other than university textbooks. So I ended up dropping it in Year 11 since I had done two units in Year 10.

It is not a perquisite for any Uni course and apparently you learn the content again in the beginning of your course

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing 10 units.

If you feel you have absolutely no hope in it and your other subjects are comparatively better, then drop it.

Shazer2

HSC
SpiralFlex, the thing is I don't really want to do engineering in that form, so really it's no use to me anyway.

Spiritual Being, what subjects are you doing? I am definitely doing better it other subjects, but I can definitely improve them all. I think I'll drop it. :) I also reckon that by having only 10 units, that will give me the time and ability to get up to par with my other subjects and focus on them more. That's the plan anyway.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Now the ball is in your court. Do you think you'll do well in your other 10 units

I recommend keeping it and seeing after HY

Shazer2

HSC
Now the ball is in your court. Do you think you'll do well in your other 10 units

I recommend keeping it and seeing after HY
Only really lacking in one other subject, but I went better in it than engineering anyway. I got like 80% and 65% in 2 others, with no study, so I'm fine with those I believe, and I just didn't prepare for English, but that doesn't matter as it'll count regardless.

I'm not going to get any better, is my argument. I don't see the point in keeping until the half yearlies, failing again and THEN dropping. It's added stress, assessments and an EXTRA exam all for nothing. That's how I look at it anyway.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But this is a mistake I see people make. Often the HSC course is nothing like prelims so they regret dropping it. It's up to you but I would say see how you go in Hy then make a decision who knows it may turn out to be your best.

But it's up to you

Deliriously

HSC
Haha, Shazer, I dropped engineering. I only found it beneficial if you did Physics or Chemistry. Engineering, in my opinion, isn't worth the time and effort for the end result. I think you should focus on your other subjects instead. (Which was what I did)

Shazer2

HSC
Yeah I'll probably do that Deliriously.

Spiral, I looked over syllabus and it's basically covering what we did in prelim, which I went horribly at. It doesn't coincide with any other of my subjects, so I see no point. Thanks for the advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)