Engineering Studies (1 Viewer)

mfhs2022

HSC
For whoever is planning to commit to the hell known as HSC Engineering Studies
Do not do it. I am only 3-4 weeks away from my HSC exams and I fully regret choosing this subject as it is so time intensive for crappy scaling too...
Unless you genuinely enjoy learning about materials, mechanics, historical stuff and graphical drawing
Then do not do it.

Still, I'd really like some tips from former Engineering Studies students who achieved a band 5/6. I'm ranked 6th out of 40 people which is pretty good but unfortunately our school only gets few band 6s for engineering (maybe 1, 2 at most).
I really struggle to understand the subject and often take hours to understand even one topic. I'd appreciate any tips on how to study efficiently for this subject at this stage as I feel very lost and clueless when I try to.
Cheers!

MJRey

HSC
Wow, the fact you're 6th is amazing! I'm also amazed that your cohort has 40 people doing it because there's only a handful in my class. But yes, I'm beginning to have those regrets as well. I think it's so unfair that Engineering doesn't scale too well because it has the same degree of problem solving and applying your knowledge to new situations as Physics, in my opinion. Although I'm yet to see how I perform in the HSC, I think regular revision of your notes and practising with past papers is the best way to study.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I think reasons for poor scaling is due to the small cohort of students doing the subject.

Vall

HSC
I don’t think the scaling is absolutely atrocious (yes it’s worse than many subjects) but you can definitely still get a 99.95 with it (as evidenced in UAC’s scaling report).
I think the reason for its not amazing scaling is that:
- it’s not an overly difficult subject (compared to high scaling courses like 4u maths)
- I think (this one is purely hypothetical) that schools encourage students who are unlikely to do well in physics, chemistry or extension maths to instead choose engineering studies and I think students doing physics, chemistry and extension maths alongside engineering are the ones that do best.
I don’t think the cohort size is that big a factor. In 2021 there were 2,400 engineering students and for comparison 4u maths had 3,193 students (not that many more).

wizzkids

HSC
Phew ... where to start? In the limited time you have remaining, you must make sure you have revised these topics and have prepared answers to typical questions:
(1) AS1100 drawing standards - transforming orthogonal to pictorial, and vice versa. Assembly drawings, sectioned drawings, drawing fasteners, internal holes, countersink and threads.
(2) Materials - know the manufacturing and quality control procedures applicable to steel, concrete and at least one non-ferrous metal. Know how they degrade in the environment, how to test their properties using non-destructive testing (NDT).
(3) History of technology - personal and public transport. Know the history of railway, road and air transport in the 20th century.
(4) Civil structures - Bending moments and shear force diagrams. Do as many practice problems on BM and SFD as you can.
(5) Engineering units - you must be able to use correct terminology and engineering units for forces, energy, power, pressure, stress, elongation, torque, friction coefficient, bending moment and, my favourite, the Second Moment of Area "I" for a beam.

Last edited:

d1zzyohs

HSC
I don’t think the scaling is absolutely atrocious (yes it’s worse than many subjects) but you can definitely still get a 99.95 with it (as evidenced in UAC’s scaling report).
I think the reason for its not amazing scaling is that:
- it’s not an overly difficult subject (compared to high scaling courses like 4u maths)
- I think (this one is purely hypothetical) that schools encourage students who are unlikely to do well in physics, chemistry or extension maths to instead choose engineering studies and I think students doing physics, chemistry and extension maths alongside engineering are the ones that do best.
I don’t think the cohort size is that big a factor. In 2021 there were 2,400 engineering students and for comparison 4u maths had 3,193 students (not that many more).
actually have to agree so hard on this one.
all the kids who do engineering studies in my school are kids who wanted to do physics but didnt have the mathematical capability.

NatCo05

HSC
I feel your pain, I'm currently doing Engineering Studies for HSC 2023, and am really struggling(doesn't help the teacher is useless).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)