Engineering to Psychology or Biotecnology? (1 Viewer)

Baggypants

HSC
So I'm an engineering student who hates engineering. I've always been passionate about psychology and biotechnology but I chose eng for the money. Now I've decided to transfer out of engineering to either psychology or biotechnology.

Can anyone tell me how difficult those courses are so I know what I'm prepared for?
Also I wanted to know if anyone knows anyone who's done biotechnology, since I was looking at what jobs are available?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Biotech jobs are limited

To become an actual psychologist, you require an honours, usually a masters/phD as well

captainneuro

HSC
So I'm an engineering student who hates engineering. I've always been passionate about psychology and biotechnology but I chose eng for the money. Now I've decided to transfer out of engineering to either psychology or biotechnology.
This is why you don't choose a job or career pathway based on the amount of income you earn

legend12345

HSC
wat are the possibilites of changing courses from engineering at unsw (civil with environmental) to medicine at unsw

shumphrey

HSC
u can probs switch over but it would extend your degree by like a year, so if your willing to deal with that go ahead.

know some relatives who r psychs who sorta steered me away from it as the amount of hours of experience required to become certified for a private practice (not to mention your masters and maybe PhD) you basically bust a gut and train similar hours to a doctor and get paid paid jack shit, there are however plenty of jobs in the rural areas

all info about psychs applies to practising psychologists/therapists-not research roles, i dont know anything about that

Biotech pays higher than psych (generally assuming you work for private companies in research) but there are less jobs, you also require a PhD for most research roles, the pay is still lower than engineering

so basically each career path has there pros and cons and you should probably pick what you like most

if u want to switch do it but be prepared to add like a year to your time at uni.

faolan

HSC
I'm doing biotech atm. Courses really aren't that hard so far and most are quite interesting. However, I discovered that I don't really think I want to work in this field anymore - I do enjoy learning about it though. I was looking at job ops and the decent jobs in this field require research experience, so honours/masters would be beneficial. PhD would also be really good if you're looking to start up your own research lab (if that's your kind of thing).

I do know that jobs within the biotech field aren't that abundant here in Australia, but there are a lot of labs over in america from what i've heard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)