• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

engineering/uni students (1 Viewer)

maxleng

HSC
im confused about the middle band and how it works, and what "an aggregate 2 points higher" will do

the cut off for engineering is 88.00 (last year at monash) i think i could fall between 87-89 for my enter.. say (worst case scenario) i get like 86 what are my chances of still getting in?

also ive heard some people say monash is better than melb for engineering?? anyone have personal experience and know what either are like?

costargh

Banned
HSC
I suggest you totally forget about putting engineering down so that my brother has a better chance of getting into that course =) LMAO JUST JOKING

Iv heard him say 88 to get in... not too sure about how the middle band works. Leave that to someone else.. but the 2 points higher on your aggregate would be like 159 instead of 157 which when converted would increase around 1 point on the enter ( ie 88 to 89)... but a margin none the less.

Ummmm
what else to say... oh im pretty sure that either this year or next year monash uni will start using the GAT for middle band applicants

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
http://www.vtac.edu.au/common/middleband.html - info on middle band.
Basically, 86 is probably too low, unless you can fill in a seas application. Monash, from what I've been told, is quite practical, and has some cool facilities eg. a wind tunnel. Costargh's right about the aggregate thing (there is a max of 5 points avail if you get ss>20 for spec + chem + phys).
try the monash forum.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
are uni's really that strict on uai? My uni uow is not, you can be 15-20 uai off and still get in.

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Maybe if you're rural/equity thing, they'll allow people in, otherwise they shouldn't...
What's the point of having a cut off then?

HSC
to discriminate if and when there are too many people going for uni places. its not such a huge problem at uow, as it isn't in thaaat high demand, so they take students in well before the cutoff.

Industrious

HSC
I'm doing engineering at Monash and have met a couple of people who've just fallen short of the clearly-in yet have received CSP places (87 enter). However, I'm predicting that the enter requirement this year will go up slightly because less seats for engineering at Melbourne Uni --> higher demand for engineering at Monash.
If you do happen to miss out, since 1st year engineering at Monash is more or less the same for all the engineering students, there are heaps of ways of transferring into 1st year second semester engineering (i.e. doing science and choosing maths electives, sci -> eng = 1 extra year of study = extra $20,000 for Monash). However, I'm not too sure how hard it is to transfer from uni to uni and still hold on to that CSP place (i.e. doing engineering at RMIT then transferring to Monash during second semester - transfer asap!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)