Engineering without HSC Physics (1 Viewer)

krustykrab123

HSC
I'm thinking of doing an engineering course (still not completely decided though) once I've finished the HSC. I'm currently in Year 11 (starting Year 12 this term) but I'm not planning to continue with physics (which I did in year 11) in favour of chem because I feel like I can do better in chem than phys but I still did fine in both. My question is do I need year 12 physics (new syllabus) for engineering or would year 11 physics be enough? I'm also going to do 4u math if that makes a difference

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Really depends on what kind of engineering you are thinking about. Something like chemical engineering probably don’t need physics, but then other engineering it is helpful. The main reason I would say why physics is important is because often students who don’t take that subject don’t really do maths extension 1 or 2, in which case they get to uni and are overwhelmed because maths extension 1 is sort of assumed in a lot of the science / engineering courses. Your case is a bit more unique since you are doing 4 unit maths so even if you don’t do physics I think you will be okay. Because the main thing about the uni physics is the maths, if you are okay with that then learning the concepts won’t be as difficult

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah honestly not doing HSC Physics is fine. As long as you've done prelim you would have the basic ideas needed for the first year physics courses that engineering students are required to do.

4u maths is much more beneficial for Uni Physics than Hsc Physics. Especially 4u integration, this stuff is going to be REALLY beneficial for first year Physics.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah honestly not doing HSC Physics is fine. As long as you've done prelim you would have the basic ideas needed for the first year physics courses that engineering students are required to do.

4u maths is much more beneficial for Uni Physics than Hsc Physics. Especially 4u integration, this stuff is going to be REALLY beneficial for first year Physics.
Yep just adding onto this the thing that people found hardest in the physics first year when I did it was the maths. The actual content / concept is pretty easy

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You'll be fine. The physics in engineering is pretty simple, and they'll teach you what you need to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)