Engineering workload (1 Viewer)

weirddivine

HSC
Whats the workload like for 1st year of engineering at UNSW? much more than high school? like how many nights / hours per week would you be expected to study...

hotdimsim

HSC
I dont go to unsw, but am just finishing 1st year civil. The work load can get pretty intense at times, and not much at all at others (depending on when assessments are coming in etc)
As a rule, most eng courses have about 24 contact hours a week (maybe less, but no less than 20) thats about 6 hours per subject. To succeed, you'd need about a min of 2 hours per week of your own study time per subject + time for assignments etc. But then again, i aim to do this and dont, and am at a D ave so 1st year is pretty breezy. ill have to adopt this in 2nd year to cope though.

But right now, last week of the semester, i have 3 major group projects due, 1 more assignment and 2 online tests. Pretty hectic

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I dont go to unsw, but am just finishing 1st year civil. The work load can get pretty intense at times, and not much at all at others (depending on when assessments are coming in etc)
As a rule, most eng courses have about 24 contact hours a week (maybe less, but no less than 20) thats about 6 hours per subject. To succeed, you'd need about a min of 2 hours per week of your own study time per subject + time for assignments etc. But then again, i aim to do this and dont, and am at a D ave so 1st year is pretty breezy. ill have to adopt this in 2nd year to cope though.

But right now, last week of the semester, i have 3 major group projects due, 1 more assignment and 2 online tests. Pretty hectic
I was also wondering about this, thanks for the info :D

Good luck with your projects/assignment/tests :)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Whats the workload like for 1st year of engineering at UNSW? much more than high school? like how many nights / hours per week would you be expected to study...
4 subjects with expected 5 to 6 hours of self-study per week.

But who the hell does need to take that long?
lolol.

I think the Engineering workload is hardcore.
HARDCORE.

Like running around with a P90 in COD4 and eliminating every mother fucker in your path.

What makes Engineering problems fun is you need to think and that sets it apart from those shit degrees out there.
First year mathematics has lots of questions, same amount or more than they have in a typical high school HSC Mathematics textbook but more intense and at least they don't chase you up on completing them, skip as many as you like.
But wait, there's the final exam worth 64% of your total grade!
Do expect to have Complex Numbers shoved into your brain for a nice two weeks regardless of whether you did Mathematics Extension 2 or not and they probably took a whole month to do so.
A lot is learned in one month of engineering study.

hotdimsim

HSC
not to mention statistics in 1st year. thats taking most of my study time atm. really going to hate that exam

Uncle

Banned
HSC
not to mention statistics in 1st year. thats taking most of my study time atm. really going to hate that exam
i think good old days when introductory statistics and probability comes late second semester maths.
but at least stats and probability in second sem maths was better than in hsc, the hsc version made you do much more ridiculous things with the binomial theorem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)