• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineering? (1 Viewer)

Baremy

HSC
I want to take up a course in engineering in UNI but the subjects I do are not very related only maths and chemistry would i probably still be able to do it or the options i can take?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
You'll need 3 unit maths, or at the very least do decent in 2 unit maths.

Chemistry will be useful. Physics will be very useful. Depends on which sort of field you want to go into though.

Revelrous

HSC
you'll need physics to calculate the force your building will crash on other people because your building will suck ass

Baremy

HSC
Thanks well yeah im doing pretty well in 2UNIT couldnt be bothered for the extra work load that comes with 3 unit . What fields are there to engineering anyhow if you don't mind me asking :(

Possible to do a course in physics at uni? :O

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
not that ive done physics in uni, ive heard hsc is nothing like uni physics... its more maths, hsc phys is like a history lesson.
depedning on what university u want to go to u can do engineering. UNSW assumed knowledge is 3u, university of queensland 2u is assumed knowledge and u must do on of chem or phys... most unis suggest u complete phys...

Baremy

HSC
Well my first choice in UNI would be University of Macquarie or UTS , so its pretty much just remembering the formula for physics i guess and be really good at maths?

HSC
the physics you learn in the hsc should be second nature by the time you are in uni
same with any 2U maths

Baremy

HSC
i dont do physics in school, so is it possible to do PHYSICS LESSON at the uni's im applying for?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
The basic concepts in physics at school such as gravity, motion, etc. will be second nature.
But stuff about physics in society, history of physics will be irrelevant.

i dont do physics in school, so is it possible to do PHYSICS LESSON at the uni's im applying for?
Sure, but it will be more mathematical.
There are bridging courses at UNSW if you are willing to shell out just less than a grand.

Tims

HSC
. What fields are there to engineering anyhow if you don't mind me asking :O
there is many different fields within engineering and it mostlly depends on the uni you go to though preety much all the ones i have looked at offer mechanical, civil, electrical, chemical and some have mining

UNSW has heaps of other options as well

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
For engineering, UNSW and UTS have the widest areas in engineering.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If I'm not mistaken, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it is necessary to have MX1, and a science.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
If I'm not mistaken, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it is necessary to have MX1, and a science.
Correct. That science is specifically Physics. It is also recommended to have completed MX2 at school.

Baremy

HSC
And for University of Macquarie? I wasn't specifically looking for straight up physics but a field of it and my science is Chemistry and Biology? I'm pretty sure there isnt any difference between MX1 and M2U just the work being taking a step further?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
And for University of Macquarie? I wasn't specifically looking for straight up physics but a field of it and my science is Chemistry and Biology? I'm pretty sure there isnt any difference between MX1 and M2U just the work being taking a step further?
MQ's rep for engineering isnt all that great and i recommend UNSW or UTS for eng.

Well I'm pretty sure there are bridging courses out there to help get your physics to scratch. Really the only things you need are the formulas and some important stuff since uni physics is completely different from HS physics.

And yes, MX1 is just a step further from M2U, but that step further is enough to make or break you in uni :p

Baremy

HSC
Well yeah the only reason i chose MQUni as my first choice because the grass was nice and green and what they offered looked good plus the extra incentive of Big Day Out and all the clubs. :blah: I wonder if UTS and UNSW offer anything good besides that.

The bridging courses seem pretty expensive, wouldn't they retrack everything including the history of physics and all?

And I'll try my best coming 1st in maths at the moment. My Maths tutor should keep me up to scratch with MX1 kids.

The grass on UTS is not green lols

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if the bridging course is hsc physics study then i doubt it'd help you that much.

but if you can spare the time then go for it. chemistry will also help in 2nd sem.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Avoid thinking about specific topics and consider "competency".

At uni it is going to be expected automatically that you are competent, confident and correct in fields such as algebra, differentiation/integration, graphing, statistics, geometry and trigonometry.

While a lower level maths course might include a topic on say trigonometry, and you might remember a couple of equations, you are certainly not going to be as competent, confident and correct as a 3U student.

A 3 week bridging course is probably not going to make up for not doing 3U maths for 2 years in years 11 & 12.

It is always my blanket recommendation to students that 3U maths is assumed knowledge, and that 2U students must do a bridging course and work very, very hard on maths. I would actively recommend against a 2U General maths student from engineering.

Universities set assumed knowledge standards for a reason, however they wont set them as an absolute set in stone pre-requisite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)