• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineers? (1 Viewer)

HalcyonSky

HSC
savio23q said:
Im actually looking into putting engineering as a preference for uni and I was wondering a few things. Im a little bit reluctant to put it as a preference for a few reasons. Firstly, I dont actually KNOW much about it. Secondly, the subjects I currently do at school don't meet the assumed or recommended knowledge for civil engineering. e.g. they require 'maths extension 1'...I do general..LOL.

I dont do any sciences (bio, chem, phy) and I have no idea what to expect when I get to engineering at uni (assuming I put it as a pref and make it).

However, I do top all my classes and generally do well. If I do get there, i'll probably be relying on tiresome studying (yet again)..lol.

So what do you guys think? Would I be able to handle it? Would it be too much? Im hoping someone with some knowledge of uni engineering helps.

P.S Im looking at putting Civil at UTS - 85.00 UAI

with general you will not be able to handle the math from any facet of engineering. 'Tireless studying' wont cut it, especially if you havnt done any sciences either (and if u dont have a personal interest in physics).
In your situation, id recommend you try get some sample first year test papers off some people here.

Even 2unit / extension math in comparison to engineering math is a complete joke, you really need to understand what youll be getting yourself into.

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
dumarab said:
Interesting report, but more specifically how are software engineers in the market?
Coding != Software Engineer/Architect, it's way more complex than that.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
savio23q said:
Im actually looking into putting engineering as a preference for uni and I was wondering a few things. Im a little bit reluctant to put it as a preference for a few reasons. Firstly, I dont actually KNOW much about it. Secondly, the subjects I currently do at school don't meet the assumed or recommended knowledge for civil engineering. e.g. they require 'maths extension 1'...I do general..LOL.

I dont do any sciences (bio, chem, phy) and I have no idea what to expect when I get to engineering at uni (assuming I put it as a pref and make it).

However, I do top all my classes and generally do well. If I do get there, i'll probably be relying on tiresome studying (yet again)..lol.

So what do you guys think? Would I be able to handle it? Would it be too much? Im hoping someone with some knowledge of uni engineering helps.

P.S Im looking at putting Civil at UTS - 85.00 UAI
Just because it's 85 doesn't mean it's easy. You will struggle. You'll also have to do bridging courses for maths and physics AFAIK. This is from a first semester physics tutorial sheet, knock yourself out:

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
I did Engineering after dropping from 3U maths in year 11 to 0U maths in year 12 and it worked out fine, primarily because I had a tutor. If you haven't done science though, you'll be fucked.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
im gonna join the UN as an engineer after i finish, hope fuly

erm

HSC
Riet said:
Just because it's 85 doesn't mean it's easy. You will struggle. You'll also have to do bridging courses for maths and physics AFAIK. This is from a first semester physics tutorial sheet, knock yourself out:

hey, do they upload these exams/tutorials on the university websites? and if so could you link me to it?

tankyou

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
What about biomedical engineering?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
erm said:
hey, do they upload these exams/tutorials on the university websites? and if so could you link me to it?

tankyou
No they don't unless you're a student. I'm almost certain it is copyrighted. I just took a photo of it.

dumarab

HSC
no one has answered my question though.

Is SOFTWARE engineering in demand?

Bekhit

HSC
how bout mechanical engineerin??
is mechanical better or civil in terms of job prospects and pay?

HSC
1. All engineering in is in high demand, mining, civil, mechanical and electrical are in extrememly high demand and this skills shortage is going to get much worse.

2. Software engineering is in high demand, just not as high as civil etc.

3. Savio23q, why would you want to do somethign you know nothing about? Also you wont be able to do it, you're too stupid.

4. Biomedical engineering is not really in very high demand in Australia, much higher in Europe and USA due to more established biomed industry.

5. Davo1111 - Suck my fucking cock you latent homosexual with shit sources and reports

dumarab

HSC
squiresshane990 said:
1. All engineering in is in high demand, mining, civil, mechanical and electrical are in extrememly high demand and this skills shortage is going to get much worse.

2. Software engineering is in high demand, just not as high as civil etc.

3. Savio23q, why would you want to do somethign you know nothing about? Also you wont be able to do it, you're too stupid.

4. Biomedical engineering is not really in very high demand in Australia, much higher in Europe and USA due to more established biomed industry.

5. Davo1111 - Suck my fucking cock you latent homosexual with shit sources and reports
source?

i googled most in demand jobs and i got, Engineering is sitting up there in all of them. But in the first one Software Engineering is number 1.

http://www.careervoyages.gov/top50o...genumber=1&sortby=top50factor&industrynumber=

http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/03/pf/pay_hike_jobseeker/index.htm

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/256969/programmers_software_engineers_top_demand

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/aug/02/30gtengineers-machinists-in-demand-firms-say/

HSC
dumarab said:
Your top source is American, thats why. My source is a presentation by the Chief Executive of Engineers Australia at the Engineering Australia 2006: addressing the nation's engineering capabilities seminar march 2006, check previous posts. I had the Apesma 2007 job outlook report but it got archived and i cbf looking for it.

dumarab

HSC
HOw long does it take to change your engineering major?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
squiresshane990 said:
Your top source is American, thats why.
Because we are only allowed to work in Australia? .... dumbass

HSC
Davo1111 said:
Because we are only allowed to work in Australia? .... dumbass
I mentioned the fact that it was an american site to show the OP why it had different demands for different streams to the others fuckwit. Dont go getting all sooky cos you're a fag who doesn't have any fucking idea what hes talking about.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
squiresshane990 said:
. Dont go getting all sooky cos you're a fag who doesn't have any fucking idea what hes talking about.
ahaha reverting to abuse because you can't handle being caught out with a non au source. Get a life dude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)