ENGL1000 vs ENGL1007? (1 Viewer)

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Hey guys, just another arts student seeking advice from her elders.
:)

I'm currently enrolled to complete a combined education/arts course. Just wondering out of the two junior english units newbies can do this year, ENGL1000 Academic Writing and ENGL1007 Language, Texts and Time, which one do you recommend and why? If you've taken one or both classes, I would like to know your opinion on them please. :)

I've enrolled to take ENGL1000 Academic Writing because I've read on another thread that ENGL1007 Language, Texts and Time is extremely difficult. Is ENGL1007 really that hard? A lot of people I know have decided to take as it seems more "interesting", but I'll rather past a boring class than fail an interesting one.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
You're aware that engl1000 doesn't count towards senior courses?

If so, then go for 1000. It's the easiest option and those horror stories about 1007 are pretty widespread.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
You're aware that engl1000 doesn't count towards senior courses?

If so, then go for 1000. It's the easiest option and those horror stories about 1007 are pretty widespread.
Oh. Oh. Why not?

I guess that means I have to take 1007 then. :mad1:
Thanks for that Nebuchanezzar!

collide

HSC
jayadore said:
Oh. Oh. Why not?

I guess that means I have to take 1007 then. :mad1:
Thanks for that Nebuchanezzar!
In the handbook it says "From 2008, ENGL1000 can be counted towards the junoir credit points required to enrol in senoir units of English" so I guess you can choose it? :)

ballin

Banned
HSC
yes, ENGL1000 can count towards your senior english subjects, worth 6 cp just like any other junior unit of study

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Oh. Oh.

Has anyone actually taken the class though?
Or everyone just jumped onto the 1007 bandwagon cause it was more intresting? :cool:

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Malfoy said:
1007 is evil. Do not take it, seriously. It's the worst English course ever.
I saw your review in one of the other threads and it totally put me off 1007.

I think I'll stick with 1000.
Thanks for all the help guys!

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Absolutely forgot about 1008 tbh.
So I went to check it on and looked at the timetable times.

And it's right after my anthropology classes.
So no go. :cool:

HSC
Engl 1000 sucks major balls. Boring as batshit and just so so pointless. It is a waste of space and i never would have done it if it wasnt for it being compulsory for meco. fuck it was shit, i have much hate for that subject.

44Ronin

HSC
I am doing both. So I will give you a running commentary and side by side comparision, Ha!

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Do you have it on thursday 12 - 1pm?
And when's your tutorial?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I can honestly say that 1007 would be x273746 more interesting than 1000, which sounds like the driest, most boring, pointless subject ever unless you are actually clinically retarded at writing essays.

1007 is really hard, though. I found it easy for about the first half of semester, but once you start dealing with old english and cases, it gets horrible. It's really not a nice feeling to be cruising along nicely and then be dumped in a bucket of 'oh fuck what is this'. I have a feeling multilingual people would do better especially with the old english part of it. If you speak german or french it could be of benefit.

But anyway, if you need to achieve over a pass for some reason (scholarship etc) don't do it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
el gwapo said:
so what exactly is so shit terrifying about ENGL1007?
at first it's nothing you can't deal with if you speak english. but it starts to get really really technical after that. it's nothing like the grammar you would have done in primary school, at all. nouns and parts of speech are just the beginning. it would probably be a lot easier if you did or have done linguistics because some of the content is similar.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
at first it's nothing you can't deal with if you speak english. but it starts to get really really technical after that. it's nothing like the grammar you would have done in primary school, at all. nouns and parts of speech are just the beginning. it would probably be a lot easier if you did or have done linguistics because some of the content is similar.
That and Malfoy's review of it in the other thread.

My friend's swapping out of 1007 and into 1000. :D
Plus 1000 is all online, so less contact hours at uni.

el gwapo

HSC
I'm doing LNGS1000 and this one they're very similar, especially in the terminology they use. Though I have read the required 2 chapters in the textbook, and it's all blah blah blah to me.

symple

HSC
ENGL 1007 is ... interesting.

It's sort of a strange hodgepodge of stuff about grammar, linguistics, the history of the English language, semiotics, and why computer spell check is the spawn of the devil. I kid you not.

The lectures are interesting (I don't think ENGL 1000 even HAS lectures), but the assessments are marked more unfairly than HSC science (think looking for key words and not telling you how to answer the questions. ever). Also we don't get the essay back until after the exam. Not good.

OhmyGOD the exam is on WEDNESDAY. *hyperventilates*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)