English Advanced, Extension 1, Extension 2 Online Tutoring (1 Viewer)

himmy6996

HSC
Hey, my name is Dave and I just finished the HSC with a UAI of 99.65. More than anything else, I noticed that, because of scaling, English Advanced was the major discriminator at all ends of the spectrum - whether your aiming for a UAI of 70, 80 or 100 getting the edge in English is absolutely crucial.

I am offering online tutoring for all levels, and almost all texts. This includes notes, practice essays, tips, discussing ideas, advice (strategy both in approaching internal assessment and exams) and regular written feedback on your work. This is advantageous in that essays, ideas and writing can be reviewed when it suits you, and you can send from your home without the hassle of meeting arrangements.

My marks were:

96/100 English Adv
47/50 Ext 1 (pomo, but most electives are okay)
50/50 MW (nominated showcase)

Most people think that you cant really change your english like you can with other subjects but this is bullshit - english advanced is based on meeting specific requirements not pulling out a dictionary, and if you learn how to approach the specifics right u can beat the course.

For further info please contact me by email - himmy@primus.com.au, jrbloom@primus.com.au - or mob: 0405836941

Cheers, look fwd to working with you

himmy6996

HSC
if regular - 30 a week and that includes as much stuff as u wanna send + constant session/discussion in the lead up to Assessment tasks etc (ud probs wanna be doing 3-5 drafts for important tasks).

if more casual - price is not set in stone, well sort something out.

Btw if u hit a band 6 for eng adv, and ur half decent at ur other subjects (which i assume u are looking at ur uni prefs) then its hard to imagine u falling below the 95. For you more than any, english is the key, so get back to me.

Cheers

kriistenchantal

HSC
HEy there. =]

The subjects im currently studying are:
- English Advanced
- English Extension 1
- English Extension 2
- Legal Studies
- Ancient History
- Visual Arts
- Relgion Studies 1

My U.A.I goal is:
- 97% or above.

My preference for UNI is:
-Anchor Journalism, which i will be studying overseas.

If you have anyfree tips/goals, etc.
It would be greatly appreciated.
Ciao. =]

"The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others"

Solomon Ibn Gabriol:D

himmy6996

HSC
sure. Treat English like maths in the sense that Advanced is your basic building blocks, extension 1 is starting to get into "pure English" and Extension 2 is really out there.

What I mean is - for people who do Extension 2 particularly - they overanalyse the requirements of English Advanced and opt always for some brilliant out-there thesis, or some wacky creative, and what the markers really want to see is you get the absolute specifics of the course right. To do well you need to write and structure well and academically, but most importantly meet the specifics (of which there are many) very stringently.

With extension 2 - take risks. You will never ever get above 47 if you do a nice neat, unoriginal MW. The usual 50/50 works take a famous author/ time period/movement or philsopher and reappropriate them in a new context - whether it be a short story which is thematically linked to an author's work or a critical analysis which uses PRACTICALLY the concepts of the author as well as analysing them on a theoretical level.

Don't forget extension 2 is an HSC subject, and a LITERARY EXERCISE - it's fine to write about something you are really interested in, like say a short story based on a conspiracy theory, but it must have academic/literary merit.

Finally I can't stress enough how important the Reflection Statement is. You write a weird story that the markers just don't get, but then your reflection statement is clear, concise, and ticks all the transparent boxes, you may not get a 50 but you'll be very very high - especially if you show literary merit. Alternately, you do a great MW but your RS is all over the shop your unlikely to even hit the top band. RS is everything, and there is a very formulaic straight forward way of writing a good reflection statement - no need to take risks at all.

Anyway thats very general - if you have any specific Qs I might be of more help,
Dave

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)