English Advanced & Standard (1 Viewer)

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Just a simple question is all. Is it easier to get a band 5 in Advanced than Standard? Or vice versa?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I guess people think it's easier to get higher bands in Adv than in Std judging from the percentage of people getting those bands in each course. Then again, it depends on the individual themselves, you have to admit that there the more able students tend to do Adv than Std. Not to mention that the ext people *have to* do Adv :p

Sofstar

HSC
I dont know, but you have everyone else to beat in the state seeing as though English is compulsory. Apparently more people do Standard than Adv. Apparently.
Our head of english gave us a big talk about it, but i cant really remember. Sorry. Main message was, don't do Standard if you're doing well in Adv because you think you can get a higher mark.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Maximum UAI for a student doing Eng Standard was 99.7 last year. It is very hard to get band 6 in Eng Std i think it was only 7 people last year and according to UAC <1% of the cohort got band 6 campared with Eng Adv where it was 8% of the cohort which recieved band 6

English Standard; Cohort:30 140, Avg Mark: 66, Avg Band: 3, Band 6: <1%, Band 5: 2%, Band 4: 31%, Band 3: 46%, Band 2: 17%
English Advanced; Cohort 27 542, Avg Mark: 79, Avg Band: 4, Band 6: 8%, Band 5: 38%, Band 4: 44%, Band 3: 9%, Band 2: 1%

Both English Standard and Advanced scale the same despite the results, but the results reflect the ability of the students undertaking the course.

Source: http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I thought it was just three.

One of them from my school too :p

P

pLuvia

It's quite difficult to obtain a band 5 or a band 6 in english standard. As the others have said, only 3-5 have got a band 6. But if you do bad in english advanced, then it's better off doing english standard

A l

HSC
N/A
It should be equally as difficult to achieve a certain band for English (Standard) compared to English (Advanced). DO NOT BE FOOLED by assuming that a low percentage of students achieving higher bands in English (Standard) is a result of it being difficult to obtain. The low percentage is a reflection of the candidature PERFORMANCE RELATIVE to the English (Advanced) cohort. It has nothing to do with difficulty of achieving a band. In fact, the performance band descriptors for English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are identical.
Keep in mind that both English (Standard) and English (Advanced) students attempt a common paper known as the Area Of Study Paper 1. This is where English (Standard) and English (Advanced) students are compared on a common scale (i.e. common content). Typically speaking, English (Advanced) students tend to outperform the English (Standard) students in Paper 1 simply because the strength of the English (Advanced) candidature is generally better than the English (Standard) candidature (in other words there are more "talented" students in English (Advanced) than in English (Standard) so the differences in ability show up in the results).
In the case of the Modules Paper 2, where the content differs, the distribution of marks in Paper 2 are adjusted accordingly to the distribution of marks in Paper 1 to eliminate differences in difficulty. This allows the marks to be comapred on a common scale.
So basically, the reason that there is a low percentage of students scoring higher bands in English (Standard) is simply because there are not as many talented students taking English (Standard) as English (Advanced). If for some reason, the English (Standard) students outperform the English (Advanced) cohort in Paper 1, then there would be a higher percentage of students in the upper bands. If you have seen the work of any English (Standard) students who have scored band 5 in the HSC, then you may have realised that their performance in the Area of Study is usually on par (or perhaps better) than the performance of English (Advanced) students who have scored band 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)