• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Advanced (1 Viewer)

musing

HSC
I was ranked near bottom for English in my prelims but now I'm achieving over 90% in most of my English assessments in year 12.

One of the assessment task I had recently was an in-class comparative essay. Three weeks up leading to it, I worked on my first draft and handed it in to my teacher. I got 14/20. Second draft. Same mark. Of course, I was disappointed and felt like I made no progress. But I still had time--so I kept re-working on my essay draft until I was happy with it. I got 17/20. I made final adjustments and memorized this essay draft. On the day of assessment task, I molded this essay to suit the question. I ended up 1st overall for this essay.

So what was the purpose of this story? It takes determination and effort to get this far--without a tutor or getting extra help. Generally, people don't just succeed at first try without overcoming hurdles and failures first. The best way to go is to keep re-drafting your essays and handing in to your teacher to mark it. Even better, get a HSC marker instead.

Memorization is important. Obviously, you need to memorize your techniques, quotes and effects for English. So you might as well memorize your entire essay instead.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
I was ranked near bottom for English in my prelims but now I'm achieving over 90% in most of my English assessments in year 12.

One of the assessment task I had recently was an in-class comparative essay. Three weeks up leading to it, I worked on my first draft and handed it in to my teacher. I got 14/20. Second draft. Same mark. Of course, I was disappointed and felt like I made no progress. But I still had time--so I kept re-working on my essay draft until I was happy with it. I got 17/20. I made final adjustments and memorized this essay draft. On the day of assessment task, I molded this essay to suit the question. I ended up 1st overall for this essay.

So what was the purpose of this story? It takes determination and effort to get this far--without a tutor or getting extra help. Generally, people don't just succeed at first try without overcoming hurdles and failures first. The best way to go is to keep re-drafting your essays and handing in to your teacher to mark it. Even better, get a HSC marker instead.

Memorization is important. Obviously, you need to memorize your techniques, quotes and effects for English. So you might as well memorize your entire essay instead.

Good luck!
This is great advice!

I just read 'HSC Essay Writing Revealed' by Avi Michael and I found some really useful tips in there for writing an essay & adapting it plus tips on grammar and paper 1. It's worth a read.

HSC
Uni Grad
I've memorized and adapted essays, they've gotten me band 6's. Iunno, whatever works.

First of all, what differentiates a band 6 and band 5 student? A band six student will acknowledge whatever notes are given by the teacher and be like, 'cool story bro'. Well, not really. But, what a band 6 student will do is provide a more indepth analysis of what is already being discussed in class, provide an alternative point of view and introduce their own ideas into their essays. What does this show the teacher? That you have taken initiative. It shows that you understand the text really well, and that you're not just skimming water and regurgitating what's been thrown at you. So be original. Also, a band 6 student will have references to other critics in their essays. This DOES give you extra + For example, perhaps your idea in Othello about the nature of jealously is somewhat similar to A.C Bradley etc.

I suggest you do about 1-2 essays a week. Unless you have a test soon which means you should be reviewing it daily. To Prepare: Ask your teacher for practice questions. For the first two essays take your time planning and constructing your essay. Think about what you're saying that will really appeal to the marker, what have you introduced that's different to anybody else? Send them into your teacher. Then when you recieve your feedback, fix up your errors. Then, write another essay and send it into your teacher again. Once this process is over, do more practice questions under timed conditions.

The obvious: know your texts really well, back to front.

I guess some people are better writers then others. If you're not, it's time to start cracking on some books. Many good essay writers are book lovers. Why? Because essentially, reading is a form of exploring the nature of the human condition. Whether this is fantasy, action, romance, it doesnt matter so long as you expose yourself to many genres. The other great thing about reading is that if you happen to pick up a great book, use it for your related material! Alternatively you can use the lazy method - like me, and just watch lots and LOTS of movies. I call it lazy because I enjoy watching movies. Actually it's not really lazy, it's just easier than reading for me - plus, watching a movie doesnt take as much time as reading a book. Once again, don't only watch action, or horror, or comedies. Don't only watch American movies. Watch art house films, French films, Korean films, dramas, series etc.

I've watched some of the greatest, most boring, disgusting, weird and cliche movies. Yet no matter what I watch, I feel like I gain a much broader understanding of people, and their interactions with others. For example, 'Why do we think this way?' 'What happens if I was in this situation?' You can integrate these perceptions of reality into your essays. Also, Your skill in film analysis will soar like crazy if you really take on board how the messages are conveyed.

Last of all, you must love English. You must be confident in English much like you are confident in maths or physics. If you say you hate English, it means you aren't very good at it. If you aren't very good at English at the moment, but you still like it, then you've got potential. Either way, if you want a band 6 you need to have some passion for it. If a band 6 person tells you they hate English, they are lying. I say it all the time, it's just a habit. Actually, I say it because, although I am a band 6 student, I am still not very confident that I am doing the best I can, and I know that I have much more room for improvement.

Hope you enjoyed reading the story of my life,

Cheers.
great advice right there :)

haha korean films; asian dramas FTW :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Good luck!
Very motivating stuff. All the best for your studies! It's time for me to write.

aya-chan

HSC
Memorisation usually yield good results, BUT that's if you are able to adapt your essay to the question.

What's really important, is making about a gazillion draft essays and having them checked and modified to perfection.

exiled

HSC
I write a draft generic question, keep making amendments until my teacher says its perfect, then rewrite it in exam conditions four times daily on the week leading up to the exam. It's hard work, but it works.

HJKim

HSC
I prefer to memorise dotpoints then go into the exam room and wing it

Gigacube

HSC
I write dotpoints & practice turning them into an essay. Dotpoints are just easier to remember.

If you're an auditory learner try recording yourself saying the essay and replay it to yourself. Put it on your iPod if you really want to.

exiled

HSC
I write dotpoints & practice turning them into an essay. Dotpoints are just easier to remember.

If you're an auditory learner try recording yourself saying the essay and replay it to yourself. Put it on your iPod if you really want to.
What exactly do your dotpoints contain? 1 technique per point?

Also, do you have backup points in case the question greatly varies from some of your other points?

Gigacube

HSC
What exactly do your dotpoints contain? 1 technique per point?

Also, do you have backup points in case the question greatly varies from some of your other points?
1 technique per dot point. My dot points aren't complete sentences and I usually use a line to separate paragraphs or ideas or the structure.

Yes I do have back up points. If you were adapting an essay I'm sure you'd have at least one other backup point too.

jnney

lemon
HSC
usually I have a quote, and match it with the technique. My explanation is usually a paragraph long. yours should be pretty detailed too.

jnney

lemon
HSC
@giga. you can send in your stuff for me to criticize :D
sorry about the maths thing, will upload tomorrow

Gigacube

HSC
Haha I will one day. :p

Don't worry about the maths thing. Don't want to rush you. Upload whenever. :)

exiled

HSC
Hmm, yeah. I might do some dot points for my prelims; memorising 3 essays and a creative piece probably isn't the most efficient way to study.

Gigacube

HSC
Practice adapting it & getting your teacher to give you some feedback on each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)