English Advanced (1 Viewer)

Xanthi

HSC
Hey, anyone know what sort of standard you need to get 17s 18s 19s and 20s in essays and creatives? Top 1% for 20s or more like 1 in 10000? Top 10% for 18s or more like top 1%?

What's your preferred approach also. Memorise or make things up in the exam?

Haruto_65

HSC
Memorising is probably much more easier than making things on the spot. It depends on how you think under exam conditions. Like personally memorising and adapting my essays and creative is much easier in an exam, because I can't think clearly under pressure and exam stress.

But the con's of memorisation can be that the question maybe very specific and you may need to change your analysis and paragraph structure to fit the question better. Sometimes, essays can also be hard to adapt to certain questions.

The con's of making things up is having a messy structure and it might take more time as you need to think on the spot about all the quotes and analysis your gonna use.

beetree1

HSC
I got 20s for all my pieces this year except one, and I just memorised quotes for essays and had an idea of some techniques I wanted to use in my creatives so i can be more prepped for the reflection.

It does not matter what percentile you are in order to get 20, it just has to meet the criteria and concisely reflect the question/stimulus. For reference, in my school trial, the modal mark was like 18.5 and around 20 people got 20 for a Module essay... you shouldn't be considering the percentile that is only for ATAR

I also would not recommend memorising for creatives as it will most likely not relate to the question and you will therefore be stuck in the exam and have nothing. So instead of gambling on whether the question will link to your pre-prepared, just practice doing unseen texts to get better.

Xanthi

HSC
I got 20s for all my pieces this year except one, and I just memorised quotes for essays and had an idea of some techniques I wanted to use in my creatives so i can be more prepped for the reflection.

It does not matter what percentile you are in order to get 20, it just has to meet the criteria and concisely reflect the question/stimulus. For reference, in my school trial, the modal mark was like 18.5 and around 20 people got 20 for a Module essay... you shouldn't be considering the percentile that is only for ATAR

I also would not recommend memorising for creatives as it will most likely not relate to the question and you will therefore be stuck in the exam and have nothing. So instead of gambling on whether the question will link to your pre-prepared, just practice doing unseen texts to get better.
Well done on the amazing achievement!

I was referring more to the externally marked exams since marking would differ between schools. The criteria is generally subjectively worded e.g is the essay effective or just competent? so it is difficult to judge in that way.

Being able to transform quotes into essays on the spot is an amazing skill. Do you find it difficult though to write in a fluent/nice way on the spot whilst not spending too much time thinking rather than writing?

beetree1

HSC
Well done on the amazing achievement!

I was referring more to the externally marked exams since marking would differ between schools. The criteria is generally subjectively worded e.g is the essay effective or just competent? so it is difficult to judge in that way.

Being able to transform quotes into essays on the spot is an amazing skill. Do you find it difficult though to write in a fluent/nice way on the spot whilst not spending too much time thinking rather than writing?
It isnt a skill, it just comes naturally from practice. it isnt difficult if you do enough practice and studying, otherwise your response will in no way reflect the question enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)