English and Improvement (1 Viewer)

Budz

HSC
hey..
I was just wondering is there any possible way one can improve their overall marks..
I think in english you cant.. there is always criteria that cannot be improved on..
practice questions and memorizing techniques, quotes amd critical quotes can only get you so far

its difficult to improve in the criteria like

Demonstrates sophisticated control of language and structure...

well now that i got that off my chest i can go bak to studyin science....lol...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Demonstrates sophisticated control of language and structure...
There's a few different aspects to each part of English marking criteria, which is why it seems so hard to improve upon. English tests your knowledge, your understanding AND your application of a very convoluted language.

Firstly knowledge is to do with vocabulary, structure, and media. It's about knowing WHAT things are - this is a feature article; chromatic means 'relating to colour', a good paragraph should have a topic sentence. Improving your knowledge of English is a matter of digesting lots of information, and anybody can do it. Read the newspaper. Read books, poetry, websites. Learn a new word every day.

Understanding is where the majority of your marks come in. It relates to your understanding of HOW things are done. I started this reply with a quotation; why have I done this, what does it add to my reply? What is the tone of my reply and HOW does it affect how you perceive my response? I'd like to think that it's a professional, factual response that indicates that I know my subject matter.. but some people may disagree!

To improve understanding is much more complicated and situational than just improving your knowledge. Firstly you must be able to identify what the technique is (eg. rhetorical question), secondly you must understand what it does in terms of the text (eg. it grabs the reader's attention), and finally you must be able to explain what it does for the actual text (eg. it highlights an area of confusion in English grammar).

I would advise reading a variety of texts and analysing them - not in any formal manner, but by asking yourself WHAT, HOW, WHY, and don't stop until you're satisfied with your own interpretation. If you don't know the WHY, then ask a teacher or a friend who may be able to give you a different perspective. It's a tough task because it requires a lot more brain power than just memorising..

Finally the application of English is a matter of taking both your knowledge and understanding of other people's texts and applying them to create your own texts. This is probably the most satisfying element of English (for me, anyway) because you actually get to create something that is entirely yours. The stickies I have on various forums regarding How To Write particular text types are an example of applying English. It's easy to improve once you have the other two sections down pat.. just write, write, and write some more, and don't forget to get some critiques from other people. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)