English and UAI (1 Viewer)

el gwapo

HSC
Sad Statue said:
That's totally Year 10 though. I just wish there was an objective way to mark those hard fought essays.
Keep wishing then.

Fact is senior English will never be objective, one of the modules is "Critical Study" and well... you can't have one answer for that, and therefore you can't be objective and say argument X for text Y is better than argument Z for text W.

I actually like some form of subjective-ness in essays. Theoretically speaking, if the HSC was all marked by one person/machine then there shouldn't be a problem. But it doesn't go down like that

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
arghhh.... we had our english paper 2 trial exam today, and it was so horrible.... i didn't get module B and C finished (conclusion missing from both, and a chunk of info missing from C), but i honestly tried my best....

no matter how fast i write, no matter how fast i think, i can NEVER finish. It's like a game of death that i can never win!!!

and because english is mandatory to include in your uai, now my uai is going to DIEEEEEEEEEEEE coz of my failed perfomance in one stupid test worth 15 frikkin percent.

*sighs*

i hate boardofstudies.

amyg238

HSC
Oh, I've got the exact same problem as you. Do the same subjects too, except spanish instead of italian.

I'm so bad at English!
Well, I guess I'm not "bad" but I hate it and do worst at it.
I hope it doesnt ruin my chances of getting a good UAI, I do fairly well in all my other subjects.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I reckon English exams should be three hours. 40 minutes for each section just does not cut it if they're expecting a solid response to a previously unseen question.

I just can't write all the stuff I know to show I know it, and there's no time to formulate an actual argument and supporting evidence. You just have to get writing straight away. An extra 20 minutes per section would do a world of good.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Fish Sauce said:
I reckon English exams should be three hours. 40 minutes for each section just does not cut it if they're expecting a solid response to a previously unseen question.

I just can't write all the stuff I know to show I know it, and there's no time to formulate an actual argument and supporting evidence. You just have to get writing straight away. An extra 20 minutes per section would do a world of good.
iawtc.

actually, WHY is english mandatory? i'm pretty sure that english up till year 10 is good enough, but COMPULSORY in our senior years??? I can speak and write english fine, thanks, and i don't really feel any need to deconstruct wordsworth so that i can gain a better understanding of this world and how to analyse life, or whatever shite english is supposed to teach us.

hmmm.... that sentence needed more commas...... ,,,,,,,,,, - i have fulfilled the quota.

that is all.

Boycott English Foundation - NOW.

Youliana

HSC
SquirrelsRabbit said:
Considering that English is the only subject which will definately count towrds your UAI (which I feel is quite stupid) if you dont do so well with english, like I am right now (i do adv english), but do fairly well with all your other subjects (I do 3u maths, chem, bio, italian continuers), will your english mark seriously drag your possible UAI down?
I really need to know coz I'm stressing about it pretty badly..

Anybody else in the same boat as me?
Im on the EXACT SAME BOAT AS U AND WORSE AUUGHH...:bomb:
I love englis advanced, which is exactly why I do it.. but no one warned me of the speeches part.. n thats what is rly gettin me down.. im failing badly..
Although u know? inthe tials (last monday), I ddn do bad. im actually happy wth itfor once tnx God.. But i do spanishBEG... N im SO worried on that too.. yeee.. if I doequally bad on both i'll be expecting a rly bad UAI.. but I live on dreams and hope so doesnt worry me.. jus listen.. Take my advice snce I dnt take it anyways.. study ur best so u wont have any regrets.. then whateva u get, u'll know u did all u can.:burn:

Chao..:wave:

jiakan

HSC
Sigh, it seems like everyone if frustrated over the dreadful subject of English.

In fact, I totally agree not having English as a compulsory subject. We do not need to critically analyse text, we do not need to fully understand the different interpretations of ancient texts (such as Shakespeare's works) to have a good career and live a wonderful life.

English, esp. Advanced English, is the MOST DEMANDING two unit subject there is, I put more effort and time into it than 4U maths and still perform poorly.

It is just not my nature to do GOOD in English, yet I have ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE to do English since BOS makes it compulsory. Therefore I believe the UAI is not a true reflection of my potentials and abilities!

:mad1:

cs01001

HSC
Yeah true, hard work does not yield proportional results in English... and it is so hard to get a Band 5 in Standard/Advance, let alone a Band 6 :(

KirrynAlane

HSC
apparently we have to do english because the select few that go to uni need to know how to write essays etc. in the good old days, the universities found that people who didnt do english in yr 11/12 couldnt write essays... or some such.

GAHHH.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
KirrynAlane said:
apparently we have to do english because the select few that go to uni need to know how to write essays etc. in the good old days, the universities found that people who didnt do english in yr 11/12 couldnt write essays... or some such.

GAHHH.
then why don't they just let people who need to write essays in university choose to do English in school, instead of forcing it on everyone!!!!

hope that sentence made sense ^_^'

but, i guess writing thesis' are similar to writing essays....

Ahmed A

[JLS.MCH]
HSC
The majority seem to have forgotten that for english its quality not quantity. I know it may sound cliche but its true...
There are many students i know that wrote 3-4 page essays and still got the full marks...

cs01001

HSC
They made English mandatory because the unis found that the standard of English was too low, therefore not good enough to meet uni standards.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
They made English mandatory because the unis found that the standard of English was too low, therefore not good enough to meet uni standards.
well, what about the unfortunate people who are simply innately crap at english?

Dezcrimination! :eek:

Dural... DO NOT CALL IT THE STICKS!! I DON'T OWN S
HSC
I think i can kiss goodbye to doing well in hsc.. just failed 3u maths trial and bad in 2u maths trial...
am yet to get english back *shudders*
GAH!!
Stupid unis ans their english standards crap... i dont really even need english!! Considering I probably won't even go to uni.. i'ma ba a TAFE kid!!!
LA DI DA.
Gah... i wish english wasn't compulsory... do you reckon many people would do it fi it wasnt compulsory?

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
SquirrelsRabbit said:
I think i can kiss goodbye to doing well in hsc.. just failed 3u maths trial and bad in 2u maths trial...
am yet to get english back *shudders*
GAH!!
Stupid unis ans their english standards crap... i dont really even need english!! Considering I probably won't even go to uni.. i'ma ba a TAFE kid!!!
LA DI DA.
Gah... i wish english wasn't compulsory... do you reckon many people would do it fi it wasnt compulsory?
YES. I know so many people (including me) who would NEVER do english if it wasn't a mandatory subject.

It's amazing how simply doing 'average' in English can pull down your uai so much...... unfair!!!!!!! :mad: :angry: :vcross: :mad: :chainsaw: :ninja: :pain: :hammer: :burn: :mad1:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ssejamafone said:
YES. I know so many people (including me) who would NEVER do english if it wasn't a mandatory subject.

It's amazing how simply doing 'average' in English can pull down your uai so much...... unfair!!!!!!! :mad: :angry: :vcross: :mad: :chainsaw: :ninja: :pain: :hammer: :burn: :mad1:
SquirrelsRabbit said:
Gah, stupid english.....
It is really dumb that your UAI pretty much rests on your results in one subject.. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!
:burn: :mad1: :mad: :angry: :pain: :vcross: :mad:
These posts need more :bomb:

shut up

ruler of all
somewhere inside a rainbow wondering what im doing
HSC
ssejamafone said:

i would totally do the extensions and not normal english if u could and so would most ppl
my whole ext 1 and 2 class r awesome at the extensions but not so with advanced - my marks are waaay higher for 3u than 2U

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
shut up said:
i would totally do the extensions and not normal english if u could and so would most ppl
my whole ext 1 and 2 class r awesome at the extensions but not so with advanced - my marks are waaay higher for 3u than 2U
Indeed, I'm getting better ranks and marks in extension 1 english than advanced, I'd do it over advanced anyday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)