English Choices for Year 11 &12 (1 Viewer)

SimplyRach

HSC
Okay heres the situation.

I have to choose either Advanced or Standard english. I asked my english teacher and she said that im capable of completing advanced english, although i should choose standard because she thinks ill crash and fall 'cause of the heavy workload.

Anyone who has done Advanced english, please give me some feedback on the workload, even people who are still doing it.

SimplyRach xx

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
well i do both advanced and extension enlish and im in yr 11. i think the workload for advanced isnt heaps but if you cant really get your head around some of it you find yourself struggling. maybe try out advanced and then if it doesnt work out for you, you can easily drop to standard. have a go and then make up you mind....its easier to drop to standard than try to pick up advanced coming from standard. good luck whatever you decide

SimplyRach

HSC
Yeah, i've heared that i should go ahead with advanced, and there is a period of time in the beggining of the year, if you dont like the subject, you can drop down a level. So Yeah, i might try that.

SimplyRach xx

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
No, stick with me, English Standard is easier and the workload is a lot less ..
You must study 5 texts including Shakespeare in English Advanced, whereas English Standard you only need any 4 texts ..

Plus you could be the top English Standard student (Not that I am) instead of being ranked halfway in English Advanced ...

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I would say do what is right for you. Only you truly know how well you can do when you put full effort into a subject and advanced English is certainly a course that does require dedication.

I was going to say this is the wrong forum but I see English doesn't have just a general forum so I guess its ok. Maybe a thought for the mods but there maybe should be a subject selection sub forum created for year 10s to help them with these decisions in the one forum instead of all these questions in several, just a thought. ;)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
I would say do what is right for you. Only you truly know how well you can do when you put full effort into a subject and advanced English is certainly a course that does require dedication.

I was going to say this is the wrong forum but I see English doesn't have just a general forum so I guess its ok. Maybe a thought for the mods but there maybe should be a subject selection sub forum created for year 10s to help them with these decisions in the one forum instead of all these questions in several, just a thought. ;)
And if you make the wrong decision, change as soon as possible ...

English should have a general forum .. I accept the fact the Board Endorsed Course - Sport, Life & Recreation is not listed in the BOS forums ... I do agree there should be an English General forum established. Think about it, English is definitely a compulsory subject.

HSC
N/A
^ mmm, and what are you going to talk about in the "general" forum eh? :p We totally understand that Eng is a compulsary course, hence why we have so many forums and subforums devoted to it :p

'how do I write an essay'
'can eng adv people help me with this std eng essay'

I don't see the need to create a 'general' forum... particularly not when the eng adv/ee1/ee2 forums seem to be the most active, and they all have quite specific discussion areas :/

kid@admin, I'd bring that idea up directly with an admin. Just voicing it here probably isn't going to get their attention :p

And finally, to the OP: I'd do eng adv and if it's too hard drop down as opposed to the other way around.

In my personal experience I thought I'd die in Term 1 of yr 11 (mind you I did both eng adv and EE1) not because of the workload but sheer intensity of the content we were covering as opposed to what we'd been doing (like, Heart of Darkness, Wife, The English Patient, The Crucible... all reasonably hardcore :p). In contrast I found HSC english adv pretty fine, but again that's just me.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
It's silly to pass up a subject without trying it on the basis of 'it might be hard work'. Definately try it - but make sure you're aware of the final date that you can drop down by if you don't like it. It's a good course - well, I think anyway :p - so good luck and enjoy!

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
i started off yr. 11 doing ad. english and went down to standard about term 3 of yr. 11. i found the workload for advanced ENORMOUS.

it depends. if ur marks are showing that u are coping with the advanced course then yeah stick with it. but like the previous poster, it'd be good just to give it a go and see if u like it :)

~Han~

HSC
im like lizziegirl, i started out in adv english, hated it with a passions therefore never did any work and then got stressed coz i was failing. then went to standard where i could top it and focus pretty much all my time on other subjects where there was more competition for the #1 rank in the school. worked so far...just gotta start putting in more effort coz against the best standard kids in state now.
standard is a LOT nicer than adv!

Danm999

HSC
If you've got the choice, give Advanced a go. Honestly, it is not that much harder than Standard, and if you do well it will be so much more rewarding in terms of marks.

Plus, if you find it too dificult, you do have the choice of dropping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)