english - comparing poets essay (1 Viewer)

JessicaMiller

HSC
Hey, I’m sort of new to this whole thing, but I reckon its pretty cool. I’m in year 10 btw. well anyway, I’m having a lot of trouble with my English assignment – actually, my whole class is… we don’t get anything. I thought I could get some help from this site… We’re doing poetry at the moment. This is the task description:

Write and essay (approx 800words) in which you compare and contrast the work of Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath. Both poets even through the time they were married wrote poetry in a unique fashion with individual flair. Choose four poems (2 from each poet) you have studied in class and answer:

‘Poetry is an orphan of silence. The words never quite equal the experience behind them. Discuss the experience that is being conveyed behind Ted hughe’s and Sylvia Plath’s poetry.’

Requirements: - Choose at least 5 poetic techniques
- Show similarities and differences in both poet’s themes and poetic techniques

Okay, the only thing I know is that we have to say if we agree or disagree to this statement. But I don’t even get it… orphan of silence? What the hell is that? Maybe its just me, cause I hate English. So anyone care to help with this? Kind of urgent, I have about a week to finish it. I know its late, let’s hope she’ll give us an extension. Fingers crossed someone will see this post.

Venetiad

HSC
IMO, you could probably just ignore that first sentence. The most sentence is the second one. Since you've studied TH/SP you'd know that there was a sort of bitter arguement throughout their poems.

I can see this question asking you to use Whiteness I Remember vs Sam to show that the 'words dont equal the experience' because of a distortion of the views of both poets.

I suggest you work off that. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)