• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Essay "every text has its use by date" (1 Viewer)

st1m

HSC
Hey guys i just need your help, I'm going to do an in class essay about speeches, The statement is "every text has its use-by date" and we have to agree or disagree. I want to do the essay now and memorise it for the test. We are supposed to relate to 2 texts (speeches) and I'm choosing either Socrates, Emma Goldmen, or Abraham Lincoln speeches as my 2 related/supporting texts.

We are suppose to analyse and identify techniques etc...
Can someone give me a start or an example?
any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

HSC
st1m said:
Hey guys i just need your help, I'm going to do an in class essay about speeches, The statement is "every text has its use-by date" and we have to agree or disagree. I want to do the essay now and memorise it for the test. We are supposed to relate to 2 texts (speeches) and I'm choosing either Socrates, Emma Goldmen, or Abraham Lincoln speeches as my 2 related/supporting texts.

Thanks
You're doing this in prelim? :confused:

SimonLee13

HSC
I'm pretty sure you have to do similar work in yr 12, using famous speeches in history. It's probably easier to disagree with the statement as the issues that the speeches contain, are universal and ubiquitious throughout time.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
st1m said:

Thanks
Agree - Show how they're only able to be applied to the context in which they're written, show how they can be "overshadowed" by upcoming/more "updated" texts.

Disagree - show how they can apply to different contexts, have a universal message and are able to withhold their place within history/changing times.

Just a few ideas/thesis's.

HSC
st1m said:
Hm, ok.

It seems this question is pretty popular, we were given it as well. I think it or something similar is from a past paper?
Lincoln and King are good choices for this (dead easy) as they were linked so strongly (four score and seven years ago/five score years ago) and have many of the same values. I used them in my response and argued that texts do not have a use by date. King made reference to Lincoln as the ideas in Lincoln's speech was still relevant in 1963. I then threw in Pearson's speech to show how the values in King's speech were again shown in a contemporary speech and how they are still relevant in society today blah blah blah...
Basically, as long as you can create a link between the speeches and society today or show how they are no longer relevant in society today, you are set.
Also, the Macquarie textbook has a bit of an outline on this question in it.
Hope that helps.

st1m

HSC
thnx guys, we are unfortunately doing King's speech next year so we cannot do it this year, so all i have to do is link it with universal ideas and how they can still have an impact on today's society?
cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)