English Essay vs History & Legal Essay (1 Viewer)

dragon658

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm currently doing Legal, Modern and English Advanced and its getting to the point where all 3 of these subjects require solid essay writing skills. I'm not bad in this area although can someone help me make clear distinctions between English, Modern and Legal essays.
From my understanding I feel as though you're allowed to be more expressive and 'deep' in an English essay provided you back it up. In Modern, you obviously need to memorise some dates and facts although the higher bands require a 'judgement' like English. It's similar to legal where you use the statistics and evidence to interpret and make a judgement based on what you believe.
It just seems like I'm being taught what to do in Legal more so than Modern and English, as in, there is more you need to cover? For instance, we're about to do an essay on Youth and the Law and the criteria of responsiveness, enforceability, resource efficiency, access etc need to be covered.

I'd appreciate some opinions on this.

Thanks

zachary99

HSC
N/A
Hi i did legal studies last year (band 6) and am doing doing adv english this year and i am going pretty well, here is my understanding.
You seem to be on the right track :)

Legal: - get straight to the point, incorporate the syllabus as much as possible, the markers dont have time to read rubbish/waffle (as they get paid on the amount of papers they mark)
- Legal is all about your judgement!!! You need to be saying your argument (e.g. the law is effective to a limited extent) constantly .......and i mean constantly
- Its all about legislation, cases, media reports, facts and statistics and how this supports your argument. Pretty much theres no need to be 'deep', just give them the facts and make a judgment.

English: - Much more elaboration (being 'deep and expressive') about composers choice of techniques.
- These essays usually need to have a better 'flow' (although still important for legal)
- Compared to legal studies you are allowed to go off on a little bit of a tangent with your own interpretation of a composers techniques and as you answer the questions.
- More sophisticated language is needed compared to legal

dragon658

HSC
Thanks for that man, really appreciate it. Reinforced what I've been thinking

Can anyone help me with structuring my Little Red Riding Hood Essay?
Pm me.

Cheers

si2136

HSC
N/A
Economics is more based on statistics and graphs. The correct term for an Economics Essay is an Extended Response, so there isn't much solid essay writing skills needed, besides addressing the key question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)