english essays.........help........ (1 Viewer)

rodie

HSC
Can someone like tell me if there is a specific structure to follow when writing these essays when there are about 4 texts. I’ve seen a variety of formats…..is it better to organize the texts under your main points…..or is it better to talk abt your first text and then the next text…and so on….more like each paragraph is about a particular text instead of the paragraphs being abt the 3 or 4 themes/concepts under which you talk about whatever texts fit in with that concept……or something like that……?????????????????

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yes, doing it thematically is a much more effective structure and will make for a better essay, but it is much more difficult to study for and also requires more skill to write in an exam.

Doing it text by text is less sophisticated but much easier.

so it depends how confident you are and what you're aiming for.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Exactly.

But you can still get a good mark if you do it text by text if it is done well.

HSC
N/A
Do also bear in mind you have like, a whole year to perfect your essay writing technique :) Yes, it's hard to juggle 4 texts at once, but you lots of time to master this! Everyone can write "thematically" so long as they put the work in :)

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
Exactly... write lots of essays while you have the chance, and try out lots of different methods. And remember, just because someone says it's "easier" doesn't mean it's any less effective. I did quite alright for myself from using the old text-by-text format. In fact, I'd argue that it provides a more logical structure for physical journeys essays where you use the Skrzynecki poetry - since you're writing on *two* core texts, if you get what I mean...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)