English Examination Questions Help Please (1 Viewer)

Gangstar1

HSC
Hi everyone,

Recently i got my results back for my half-yearly's (year 11)and i gotta say i really need help with my comprehension questions i always get 8/15 for them and they always drag down my overall mark by heaps and also how do i write a good essay in like 30mins + i always have trouble with the length of my short story... so if any of you guys could help gimme some tips I'll delighted !!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!

watsthebuzz

HSC
Hi everyone,

Recently i got my results back for my half-yearly's (year 11)and i gotta say i really need help with my comprehension questions i always get 8/15 for them and they always drag down my overall mark by heaps and also how do i write a good essay in like 30mins + i always have trouble with the length of my short story... so if any of you guys could help gimme some tips I'll delighted !!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!
For comprehension, learn to analyse in detail what you are given. For practise look at past English papers and find the techniques behind each poem (metaphor, imagery, aliteration, repetition), picture (salient point, juxtaposition, satire, irony, contrast, symbolic imagery, etc) and use them to answer the questions your given. But remember, figure out what your answer is going to be and then use supporting techniques. It's no use finding a technique, and then having nothing to say about it, because it doesn't really relate to the question being asked. Also those longer SAC questions towards the end, should be like a mini-essay and should be more than a page. Also, don't be afraid to ask your teacher how to improve. (I had an arrogant, idiotic teacher who wouldn't help even if I asked,it made me so angry; i had to get a tutor...hopefully you're not in that position).

As for your creative writing, why are you trying to finish it in 30mins? Shouldn't your SAC, essay + creative writing all be 40mins eack = 2hours?? For 40mins, an essay or creative writing story should be one and a half pages typed, if not, a little bit less. Also for everything, you can basically memorise the techniques and what points they prove for your essay. Then in you exam, look at what the question asks, then rewrite your essay with the same points, but remolding it, so it answers the question. The best way to improve your speed and how fast your brain remolds the question is to practise using past paper questions, or even making up the questions you think the teachers may ask in the exams, and then answering those.

Hope that helps! Any questions, feel free to ask.

Gangstar1

HSC
For comprehension, learn to analyse in detail what you are given. For practise look at past English papers and find the techniques behind each poem (metaphor, imagery, aliteration, repetition), picture (salient point, juxtaposition, satire, irony, contrast, symbolic imagery, etc) and use them to answer the questions your given. But remember, figure out what your answer is going to be and then use supporting techniques. It's no use finding a technique, and then having nothing to say about it, because it doesn't really relate to the question being asked. Also those longer SAC questions towards the end, should be like a mini-essay and should be more than a page. Also, don't be afraid to ask your teacher how to improve. (I had an arrogant, idiotic teacher who wouldn't help even if I asked,it made me so angry; i had to get a tutor...hopefully you're not in that position).

As for your creative writing, why are you trying to finish it in 30mins? Shouldn't your SAC, essay + creative writing all be 40mins eack = 2hours?? For 40mins, an essay or creative writing story should be one and a half pages typed, if not, a little bit less. Also for everything, you can basically memorise the techniques and what points they prove for your essay. Then in you exam, look at what the question asks, then rewrite your essay with the same points, but remolding it, so it answers the question. The best way to improve your speed and how fast your brain remolds the question is to practise using past paper questions, or even making up the questions you think the teachers may ask in the exams, and then answering those.

Hope that helps! Any questions, feel free to ask.
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Ah sry to bother you again but i cant seem to write enough for my creative writing the best i did was half a page typed Q.Q

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)