English Ext 1 - Worth Doing? (1 Viewer)

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
I have just started year 11 and I am about to undertake my first Eng Ext class in the afternoon.

My question as stated in the title, is it worth doing? My friend told me that a teaching friend he knows said that for the work needed, Eng Ext is not worth it and is scaled harshly. I personally, am proficient in English and was looking forward to 4 unit English next year.

People who have studied it, could you please give me your opinion?

jaaaaay

HSC
if you're good at english you should definately do it. i tend to do better at english extension, despite it being 'harder'...

it is a lot of work, but i think it is worth doing - the scaling is not bad at all (about the same for eng ext 2 in most years)...

i'd say at least try it for a term, if it gets too boring or way too much work then drop it... at least then, you're keeping your options open, especially if you want to do eng ext 2 in year 12...

good luck =]

stargaze

HSC
From my personal experience, 3u english has a much lesser workload than 2u english. But you need to at least enjoy english a bit... I mean, you have to have at least a little aptitude toward english or particularly enjoy it.

In regard to the scaling, have a look at the scaling profile on this site and the stats for the % of band e4, e3 etc for 3u eng. I think you'll see it's quite favourable.

Have a look at the 3u eng hsc exams - all you need is one essay + one creative piece. I think that's a pretty good deal myself :)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i didn't particularly enjoy extension english despite ranking 2nd in the prelim course. i continued in yr 12 but towards the middle i couldn't bear it much longer (omg crime fiction i got plain sick of it!) and decided it was best to drop and focus on my other subjects. and now i'm glad that i did!

but in the end it comes down to whether you like it. if you believe you will do well and will have the motivation to study then i say do it. try it out for a couple of weeks and see how you feel.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Doing a subject you enjoy is always worth it, and if you enjoy english then the english extensions will be right up your alley. As someone who does enjoy english I found ext 1 (and ext 2) to be the most fulfilling of the subjects I undertook in the HSC as they allow for a more indepth look at a specific topic as well as more independent research. You're also given more flexibility in what arguments you may express (whereas adv. english can be somewhat confining in this aspect).

Scaling also shouldn't be a major consideration of your subject choices - you can get a great UAI with any subject combination. What matters is that you are able to do as well as you can, something that is usually easier in an area you enjoy. In addition (not that it really matters), extension english is among the more highly scaled subjects, certainly above all of the sciences.

Also remember that you can drop down to advanced english fairly easily, but if you later want to pick up extension english then you shall have considerable problems, so it is best to try it out before making any judgements.

pc4pc

HSC
stargaze said:
From my personal experience, 3u english has a much lesser workload than 2u english. But you need to at least enjoy english a bit... I mean, you have to have at least a little aptitude toward english or particularly enjoy it.

In regard to the scaling, have a look at the scaling profile on this site and the stats for the % of band e4, e3 etc for 3u eng. I think you'll see it's quite favourable.

Have a look at the 3u eng hsc exams - all you need is one essay + one creative piece. I think that's a pretty good deal myself :)
of course it has a much lighter workload. it's one unit compared to advance's two! you might aswell give the subject a try.

student.hsc

HSC
YES! Do it~ because in prelim,

1) marks dont matter- and it is a fun course
2) You will get overlap with 2 unit- ESPECIALLY in yr 12 (hello values)
3) If you do ee1 you can do ee2- and then you dont NEED advanced as such

emma_f

or M
HSC
We did [if I remember correctly] gothic stuff in yr11 and postmodernism in year 12. I really enjoyed Ext1 english, but probably for the most part because we all got on really well and every lesson ended in laughter. Ive found now having done the sub was beneficial for my particular studies at uni [BSc majoring in psych] as it was like a fore-runner, encouraging me to read challenging texts, increase my vocab, and just generally expand my knowledge. I had a good teacher and class, so that all helps encourage the working enviro and consequently your learning and enjoyment of the course content.

ash//19384403

HSC
Im doing ext as well at engadine highits really worth it all of the extra reading is time consumingbut really boosting for your vocab,and teachers love thatplus its overlapping with advancedatm for our comparitive studybut it does depend what genre you look at, i'd hate crime fictionand gothic is kinda killing me,but im lucky i already enjoyed some gothic fiction compared to many in my class who had never read any of it.

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
2 units of english have to count towards your uai, so you may as well maximize your chances :)

also, over half of our ex1 class prefer it to 2u, and its easier to do well in something if u find it at least mildly enjoyable (unlike me and 2u, lol)

gelina

HSC
1 unit for a subject with the workload of... ONE UNIT?

Yeah, it's alright. But.. all HSC English is bull anyway.

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
no i like extension.
well no i had more of a love/hate relationship with it but i got pretty decent marks and rankings so... :D
if you don't mind reading a few extra books or whatever your school choses to do then i'd say go for your life. you also need to do a bit of your own extra background work outside of class if you don't mind being a little bit independent.
ok so it's early in the morning and i may not be making ANY sense at all but the point i'm trying to make is:
HAVE A GO. YOU MIGHT FIND THAT YOU ENJOY IT MORE THAN ADVANCED. :)

Marny

HSC
I reckon it's alright. i feel it's less workload than 2unit. MUCH LESS!

It's also good coz the stuff u do in yr11 is very similar to the stuff u do in yr12 which also helps. it also helps with advanced coz they try to relate the modules.

It all seems confusing in class, but what ur thinking is usually the right thing anyway. u can usually tell when ur on the right track.

i think its worth doing. if u feel ur doin okay then keep it.

mzduxx2006

HSC
IronMaiden said:
I have just started year 11 and I am about to undertake my first Eng Ext class in the afternoon.

My question as stated in the title, is it worth doing? My friend told me that a teaching friend he knows said that for the work needed, Eng Ext is not worth it and is scaled harshly. I personally, am proficient in English and was looking forward to 4 unit English next year.

People who have studied it, could you please give me your opinion?
Yes it is worth it. providing you work hard and do well. just because it is a one unit subject does not mean yu can bludge and not do any work. if anything it requires more work. :D

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
HAVE A GO. YOU MIGHT FIND THAT YOU ENJOY IT MORE THAN ADVANCED.
Extension 1 is awesome!! A lot of extension I know like the ext course more than the advance course. Also ext helps heaps with advance coz you get to see the teacher more and class discussions are normally better due to small intimate class.

Go Revenge Tragedy!! :)

somewhereelse

HSC
pc4pc said:
of course it has a much lighter workload. it's one unit compared to advance's two! you might aswell give the subject a try.
haha are you kidding me?!

i think its twice the 2u workload. Its extension, its supposed to be difficult!

But I'd do it-- I hated it at first but I like it now, I like the challenge, and its rewarding when I get good marks at something I struggled with. Depends on what elective you do, some of them suck.

booties4

HSC
Can someone reassure me?
Ext1 English doesnt have a major work does it?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Dont do extension english....... u will regret doing it .... like i am right now :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)