English EXT (1 Viewer)

jessiminica

HSC
Will_Sparky said:
We did: Satire, Vampires, Wuthering Heights
Wow. That's an awesome set.

Our class did Beowulf, we're doing 1984, and... I'm not sure what else we did. We've looked at a lot of theory-style stuff, like post structuralism, feminism etc...

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
eliseliselise said:
we just started doing the importance of being earnest. it's hilarious!! extension has been so much fun this year... we've done dracula, buffy [!!!!], van helsing et al... im really looking forward to 4u eng, too- i have an idea for a crticial response but im not sure if its too cliche or overdone.. & i have to make sure that i maintain my rank aswell..
Yeah, I've done:
  • Dracula
  • The Bloody Chamber
  • The Lady of the House of Love
  • And our own related text
We were about to do Buffy too, but my teacher decided not to do film. Oh and I was suppose to do 'Interview with the vampire' as well :p

grundo

HSC
silentprayer said:
im doing heart of darkness...... its soooo boring
Ohhh I feel your pain. We started off with that and I was wondering what the hell I chose. Then we did 'The Hours'. That was awesome. :)

Excel1001

HSC
Porcia said:
What are you doing? My class is doing fairytales.
yeah we did fairy tales and had 2 write essay on how why we stil like use them and why basically (stereotyped characteers, morals etc)

Paktastic

HSC
Our EXT class is doing the Archetypal Quest.

So far we've read Stormbreaker (which was a pretty cliched hero novel).

And atm we're reading Cold Mountain, which is alright I guess, but I still think the film's better.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Paktastic said:
Our EXT class is doing the Archetypal Quest.

So far we've read Stormbreaker (which was a pretty cliched hero novel).

And atm we're reading Cold Mountain, which is alright I guess, but I still think the film's better.
Is that Stormbreaker with Alex Rider in it?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Is that Stormbreaker with Alex Rider in it?
That seems pretty basic for an Extension class. It's a book for primary school kids.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aplus said:
That seems pretty basic for an Extension class. It's a book for primary school kids.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Stormbreaker was poorly written anyways.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
bawd said:
Transformations and Appropriations of Texts. :)
lucky you! your gonna be set next year, especially if you do Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guilderstern are dead

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'm doing that at the moment, but with tutor.

lisarh

HSC
I am currently studying the novel "Rebecca" and I got an assignment on it too. I have to appropiate a scene and then explain why.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Heh - I still thought it was a pretty good book. :p

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
-may-cat- said:
lucky you! your gonna be set next year, especially if you do Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guilderstern are dead
Unfortunately, that pair of text will no longer be prescribed in the 2009-2012 HSC. The Shakespeare equivalent for next year's cohort under Module A is King Richard III and Looking for Richard.

Aplus said:
I'm doing that at the moment, but with tutor.
Wait you go to Matrix don't you? Just curious, but why are you covering that text when [see reasons above]?

A bit of a waste of time if you ask me. Especially when the elective 'transformations' has been replaced by 'exploring connections'.

(Personal viewpoint now but) If you are going to private tutoring, you should be learning in advance, or content relevant to the syllabi. While it may be easier for the college to structure classes in this way, students' needs should be foremost.

I actually think Matrix is excellent (i am two degrees of separation from DJ, and one degree from a teacher there) but this will not set up its English students well for the syllabus revolution. Oh well, better for my own students then :D

edit: although Hamlet has now been moved to Module B Critical Study of Text, so who knows, it may come in handy for some students.

5233andy

HSC
Well for the HSC, we're doing sci-fi - one of the prescribed texts is 'Dune' - I'm not particularly looking forward to this topic... At the moment, it's the nature of evil - which in my opinion is a bloody ripper.

jet

Banned
HSC
Prelim:Role of Women
- Petrarch
- Taming of the Shrew
- Taming of hte SHrew Retold
- Tess of the D'urbervilles

HSC:After the Bomb
- Catch 22 -Joseph Heller
- Sylvia Plath
- Waiting for Godot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)