English Extension 2 Help (1 Viewer)

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
Well, I'll be starting my HSC at the end of this term and I need some help.

I had an idea for a MW and I'm going to talk to my English teacher about it in depth soon but from your experience:

What are the limits to the overall broadness?

Say I wished to do my major work as an essay on a more scientific topic, or similar, what are the boundaries? Does there need to be a sort of, relevance to the english course aside from the fact I'm using writing skills I've picked up over the year?

Also, what about narrative essays, similar to a short story with an essay combined? Is this sort of things acceptable or is there a more linear way to go about this?

Pretty much, do I need to do it on a cliched literary topic such as:
Sexuality protrayed in various texts and the 'damage' it does to youth or something more open like a personal investigation into ones own theories of existance?

starrysky

HSC
I highly recommend talking to your teacher about this, first and foremost. Also, seek out a few of the people on here in the Critical Responses forum, as your purpose through essay-writing seems to be similar to theirs. The topics explored in critical works varies greatly, so have a dig in there for some opinions.

Although I'm not one to speak much, since I did a short story and would die before ever attempting a sustained essay ...

kewlu

Banned
HSC
I did a Critical on Black Metal's lyrics, they way they are perceived by outsiders and whether they are consistent with the values elucidated by Black Metal musicians.

I got into a deep lot of philosophy in the research of it, due to the values representing all of these visions etc.

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
Excellent! Break the mould!

I'll just run my idea by him and see what he thinks.

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
Mainstream black metal? That's a paradox on its own ain't it?

kewlu

Banned
HSC
IronMaiden said:
Mainstream black metal? That's a paradox on its own ain't it?
Black Metal generally has its own mainstream of bands, like any other genre.

Cradle of Filth have permeated the mainstream a little though with their music, although many don't call it Black Metal anymore, and with reason.

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
Yeah, Cradle of Filth is so grim and trve and ... blergh. Total trash.

kewlu

Banned
HSC
IronMaiden said:
Yeah, Cradle of Filth is so grim and trve and ... blergh. Total trash.
I only downloaded one of their albums a couple of weeks ago. It was so bad. I'm not sure why I am still sacrificing the 120MB on my Hard Drive.

jimmayyy

HSC
IronMaiden said:
Also, what about narrative essays, similar to a short story with an essay combined? Is this sort of things acceptable or is there a more linear way to go about this?
i pretty much did this for my MW on 60's and 70's counter culture, but it leant more towards fiction so i did it as a short story (u can check it out in the 07 Showcase thread)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)