English - Film Analysis (1 Viewer)

tanjap

HSC
does anyone know how to effectively right a film analysis??
i have to write one for my half yearlies and im not sure how to structure it...either an essay, outlining the techniques and tieing them in with the mood of the characters ..but relating techniques in the whole paragraph, and saying all the areas that the techniques have been used in the exerpt. (we view an exerpt of the film and have to write about the techniques and mood it sets)
or....should i do it in chronological order, even if it means that i would have to repeat some of the techniques!!

i dont think that this makes sense...but if you have any idea of what i am talking about and have suggestions, please post them up...my exam is TOMORROW!!! :rolleyes:

santaslayer

HSC
Do you mean techniques used in film? Such as montage, close shot, wide shot, lighting, sound effects. etc...to contribute to the mood of the scene?

tanjap

HSC
ye thats exactly what i mean!!
do you know what im trying to say by asking which way to structure my response???

Ziff

HSC
N/A
English teachers love this one: mise-en-scene.

tanjap

HSC
thanks for that...
thats like combining settings, lighting, costume and makeup and acting into one...ye??
do you have any idea how to structure such a response??
essay form or maybe by sequence??

tanjap

HSC
LOL
so is there anyone that has ANY suggestions...about STRUCTURING THIS RESPONSE???
LOL...that would be helpful! :(
but thanks for contributing!!:p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The best way to structure things for 2u English (Advanced) is by techniques. You begin your paragraph with the technique and then discuss the effect of using the technique and prove it through quotes from the text.

In your introduction you would talk about the techniques you will talk about in general terms. Then each paragraph will be devoted to one technique where you discuss, in depth, what you think are some key techniques used in "creating meaning", how it works and why the director used those techniques. Then you conclude with a generalisation about the techniques and sum up what you just wrote - if you want making a comment on the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of the techniques.

Remember, teachers want analysis and evaluation, they do not want you to recount the text. You incorporate the plot into the analysis by occasionally referring to it - always assume that the teacher knows the text well.

tanjap

HSC
thanks soooo sooo sooo much ZIff, you are truly a life saver...i had no idea how to structure it...and you've made it as clear as crystal!!
THANKS MATE - true champ!!
:D

Intervene

HSC
epping boys.. i still havent found 2 related texts to relate to my set text bend it like beckham.. can someone please give me some suggestions :S thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)