English - Got Some Questions (1 Viewer)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's the question:

"In what ways has Orwell's text contributed to a lasting impression of the complex nature of human experiences represented in Nineteen Eighty-Four?"

I just dunno what to talk about and how to talk about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

zizi2003_

HSC
Here's the question:

"In what ways has Orwell's text contributed to a lasting impression of the complex nature of human experiences represented in Nineteen Eighty-Four?"

I just dunno what to talk about and how to talk about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I don't do your text, but in terms of general brainstorming:

- "complex nature of human experiences" --> here, you can bring in the specific anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies in human behaviours and/or motivations that are presented in your text, and tie this with a theme. I'd have each body paragraph with a specific theme from my text as well.

- "lasting impression" --> this is more sort of the effect on the audience, i.e. how the complex idea presented is timeless. So how is the complex idea presented still relevant to us now and/or encourages us to reflect personally/ challenge our assumptions? (stuff from the module statement).

Last edited:

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't do your text, but in terms of general brainstorming:

- "complex nature of human experiences" --> here, you can bring in the specific anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies in human behaviours and/or motivations that are presented in your text, and tie this with a theme. I'd have each body paragraph with a specific theme from my text as well. For instance, one of the themes in the Merchant of Venice is the paradox of justice, so I'd say smth like ... the Venetians are inconsistent with the Christian values of 'mercy' they advocate for in their prejudiced treatment of Shylock, a paradoxical/complex behaviour that stems from their motivation to rid the 'Other'. Then Id go on analysing examples from the court scene.

- "lasting impression" --> this is more sort of the effect on the audience, i.e. how the complex idea presented is timeless. So how is the complex idea presented still relevant to us now and/or encourages us to reflect personally/ challenge our assumptions? (stuff from the module statement). For example, when finishing off my para on justice versus mercy, I'd say smth like ... Shakespeare's representation of this *paradox of...* challenges our assumptions of the nature of justice as inherently free from bias / enabling us to reflect personally on the facade of fairness amongst political institutions etc etc.
Thank you very much. Appreciate it!

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
“Man will become better when you show him what he is like” - Anton Chekhov (1860-1904)
To what extent does this statement reflect the purpose of storytelling in representing human experiences in your prescribed text?

What themes could you talk about for this question in relation to 1984 (Orwell)? And how would you talk about them in relation to "becoming better"?

sophiatrnn

HSC
“Man will become better when you show him what he is like” - Anton Chekhov (1860-1904)
To what extent does this statement reflect the purpose of storytelling in representing human experiences in your prescribed text?

What themes could you talk about for this question in relation to 1984 (Orwell)? And how would you talk about them in relation to "becoming better"?
A bit late, a month late ahaha, I would talk about Orwell utilising themes of private loyalties and language in relation to become better, as responders are able to appreciate the power of such concepts as an aspect of our freedom. However, honestly you can use any themes, and frame it through it 'appreciation'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)