English- help help help (1 Viewer)

Lina93

HSC
Hey guys

I have an assignment but don't know what to do, like I get it, but don't at the same time. Can someone help me out please

Task: Compare the roles of texts in the Romantic era and 21st Century, paying close attention to text, context and values (Romantic poets & 'changing lives' website)

Task Description: You are to hand in 10 journal entries. Four entries be from the point of view of a reader from the Romantic Period. Four entries will be from the point of view of a reader from today and two will be your reflections before and after the assignment. You must refer to texts studied in class and your research.

Anyone with any suggestions? please guys I don't know what to do and it's due first day back! :cold:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
What a random assignment - it's not an essay, speech or story XD

It sounds like you have to bascially make an essay and just break it up into 8 section (2 being your judgment of whether the romantic view and the 21st view are valid etc).

When it says "You must refer to texts studied in class and your research" it basically means you ahve to find "evidence" in the texts you studied that back up your idea.

I suggest you ask a few friends that would know what they're doing to see if you're on the right track :)

danal353

HSC
i think your teacher is trying to prepare you for topics studied in HSC extension english (i.e. under the module ways of thinking, which includes romanticism and navigating the global).

I'm not sure what you're meant to write in your journal entries - is it a response to an event, just a private diary, or maybe a letter. I'm currently doing romanticism and i think the main elements (in a grossly simplified version) are:

- a rejection of neoclassicism and augustan thinking (i.e. the rational, controlled) - thus there is a focus on extreme emotions (often melancholic), inexplicable events, the supernatural
- following this rejection is a rejection of the notion of progress and the industrial revolution
- also connected to this rejection of the rational is the intense importance of the imagination - again with the gothic tradition and the supernatural

- a celebration of individuality - thus romantic texts tend to be extremely subjective and personal

- a celebration of childhood innocence - i.e. the pure state of the child, yet uncorrupted by experience, adulthood (and in many cases, the city and the industrial revolution)

- an intense appreciation for nature and the natural (some romantics e.g. coleridge believed in pantheism - god in nature - this would fall under the religious paradigm)

in terms of values, you might want to discuss these values under the four paradigms - economic, scientific, religious and philosophical - in year 12 this is pretty much the main focus.

remember, there is no single romanticism, different composers had their own beliefs so there is no need to incorporate every romantic element into your piece of writing

in terms of the 21st century, a lot of people in my school are doing navigating the global - which is, as i understand it, about globalisation and the loss of local traditions - you may want to write something postmodern, a search for meaning in a chaotic world or whatnot.

i'm not sure if i've answered your question, but if anything's unclear, feel free to ask me.

Lina93

HSC
Thanks guys

I guess I'm still having a problem with WHAT exactly it is that I have to write in each journal entry :confused: ... that's the main problem

but thanks anyway, if anyone figures out what i have to write about please let me know
Thanks

lychnobity

HSC
Thanks guys

I guess I'm still having a problem with WHAT exactly it is that I have to write in each journal entry :confused: ... that's the main problem

but thanks anyway, if anyone figures out what i have to write about please let me know
Thanks
WHAT you're meant to write in each of them is as follows:

1) One from the perspective of a Romantic era person (STUFF YOUR CUNTING OPINION. YOU WANT THIS TO REFLECT ROMANTICISM)

2) Another reflecting modern audiences. ie postmodernism or whatever

3) Your ideas before assignment

4) Your thoughts post assignment

All should be in relation to "the roles of texts in the Romantic era and 21st Century, paying close attention to text, context and values"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)