• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English help...what exactly is 'representation' (1 Viewer)

eloxquence

HSC
Hey all...n00bie erre.

I do advanced english and my half yearlies are coming up next week (ohh noo!). I'm having some problems with understanding what 'representation' is. We're studying the book 'Life of Pi', so its all about postmodernism and such.

This is the defintion I have gotten from class of representation..so if anyone could explain it to me or tell me in your own words that'd be amazing.

REPRESENTATION- textual construction that arises from habitual ways of thinking about or acting in the world. Although they seem to refer to the 'real world', they actually refer to the cultural word in which members of a society inhabit.

Sorry...I just don't get that...I'm not that thick...but this definition just loses me.

All help appreciated.

bored of sc

HSC
eloxquence said:
Hey all...n00bie erre.

I do advanced english and my half yearlies are coming up next week (ohh noo!). I'm having some problems with understanding what 'representation' is. We're studying the book 'Life of Pi', so its all about postmodernism and such.

This is the defintion I have gotten from class of representation..so if anyone could explain it to me or tell me in your own words that'd be amazing.

REPRESENTATION- textual construction that arises from habitual ways of thinking about or acting in the world. Although they seem to refer to the 'real world', they actually refer to the cultural word in which members of a society inhabit.

Sorry...I just don't get that...I'm not that thick...but this definition just loses me.

All help appreciated.
Representation is taking one text and presenting it in a modified or adapted way. It repsonds to the themes, ideologies and notions of that text and is often a subjective and biased view on them.

Post-modernism is a rebellion against modernist ideals.

I hope that is what you are looking for.

eloxquence

HSC
wow thank you! that helps heaps sc!!

So in this context...what would representation mean...

Martel presents serious issues and encourages the audience to think about their own beliefs through the representation of Pi's belief's and experiences.

Also, what is a paradigm..used in this context.

Humour- derived from the subversion of orthodox worldviews and paradigms..and the destruction of iconic figures.

english just got a whole lot crazier to understand.

bored of sc

HSC
eloxquence said:
wow thank you! that helps heaps sc!!

So in this context...what would representation mean...

Martel presents serious issues and encourages the audience to think about their own beliefs through the representation of Pi's belief's and experiences.

Also, what is a paradigm..used in this context.

Humour- derived from the subversion of orthodox worldviews and paradigms..and the destruction of iconic figures.

english just got a whole lot crazier to understand.
paradigm is a way/perspective of viewing the world... or so I've been told... so the Orthodox paradigm is essentially the traditional, strict form of viewing the world - thus, reformists and progressives try to escape this confomrity by humour: usually poking fun at the traditionalist ways of life

maybe, everything above is all made up - but I am pretty sure it is correct

bored of sc

HSC
Oh, representation in that context means Martel's interpretation and presentation of the text

bored of sc

HSC
There should an extension english student on here - we need your help!! This stuff is hard...

robbo2202

HSC
i'd say representation in this context is referring to techniques but i could b wrong. try asking your teacher or something.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
eloxquence said:
Hey all...n00bie erre.

All help appreciated.
Representation is just a way of saying how a text portrays the cultural, context and values of its society. Texts are created by individuals in society, and so they represent some of the values of the society.

eloxquence

HSC
ahhh!!!

thanks so much all of you guys!!!

You're all awesome!!

snaps to you all.

thanks so much, saved me a tonne of worry.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)