ENGLISH HELP (1 Viewer)

frankfurt000

HSC
I have to write speech for this question and it is really confusing to me O.O

Please help me interpret it and dissect it!!!

Speculative narratives are vital acts of hope for the future, a commitment to both society and to the self.'

How is this idea represented in both the Handmaid's Tale and the television series?

I need help with the first bit of the question, HOW ARE THEY ACTS OF HOPE PEOPLE?!!!
THANKS ILY!!!

jojosiwa123

HSC
this is a really interesting question...
since it is a speculative novel it's like a prediction for the future. consider the fact that there is an epilogue in the novel- meaning in the future the dystopian society will eventually be dissolved. in that way it could give hope to people to keep going as there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

beetree1

HSC
is this sydney girls lol

Speculative narratives like Handmaids Tale provide insight into the destructive influences of the regime and values within that narrative.

You may choose to talk about how by exposing this dystopian society as consequential to a developed self awareness of the destructive nature of patriarchal values etc., the current society can recognise this and thus act upon it, meaning it would be "hope for the future" as such exposure would act as a catalyst for change. Overall, I think I would argue about how speculative narratives like Handmaid's Tale provide insight into the way traditional values must be subverted in order to avoid dystopia in the future?? Idk if this makes sennseeee

beetree1

HSC
As for the second part of the question, you may choose to discuss how speculative narratives inherent within the novel and the TV series demonstrate how stories can incorporate new ideas into the world by exploring concepts which encourage a higher order of thinking and introspection in recognising the flaws in the society.

For example: If you discuss gender oppression:
NOVEL
  • Conservatism world 1970s, challenged by the women's liberation movement
  • eg Portrayed through the ill treatment of women etc
TV
  • Furthers Atwood's warning of the dangers of the immoral treatment of women
  • Fourth wave feminism in 2012 shown through Offred and female Ambassador (i forgot her name)
  • eg Portrayed through camera angle upwards on Offred as she is surrounded by men in a dark room, compared to scene with Ambassador to contrast the roles of Ambassador and the women in Gilead
  • although minimal, there is a change in society as the TV series provides insight into the status of women in a more modern society 3 decades later, which is therefore hope for the future as it is expected to progress?

frankfurt000

HSC
As for the second part of the question, you may choose to discuss how speculative narratives inherent within the novel and the TV series demonstrate how stories can incorporate new ideas into the world by exploring concepts which encourage a higher order of thinking and introspection in recognising the flaws in the society.

For example: If you discuss gender oppression:
NOVEL
  • Conservatism world 1970s, challenged by the women's liberation movement
  • eg Portrayed through the ill treatment of women etc
TV
  • Furthers Atwood's warning of the dangers of the immoral treatment of women
  • Fourth wave feminism in 2012 shown through Offred and female Ambassador (i forgot her name)
  • eg Portrayed through camera angle upwards on Offred as she is surrounded by men in a dark room, compared to scene with Ambassador to contrast the roles of Ambassador and the women in Gilead
  • although minimal, there is a change in society as the TV series provides insight into the status of women in a more modern society 3 decades later, which is therefore hope for the future as it is expected to progress?
wow this was really helpful!! I was also thinking along the lines of speculative narratives serve as a warning and a blueprint as a way of life. Thus we must avoid such catastrophes from occurring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)