English help (1 Viewer)

ColdMint123

HSC
So HSC English paper 1 in 10 days and I am really struggling. I've done well in all my assessments throughout school and ranked 2nd overall at my school in English but the exams ive done at school are nowhere near the difficulty of the HSC exams. I am aiming for a band6 and am having doubts about if i can even achieve it? English is honestly a struggle, esp module C. Feel pretty confident with all my other subject, but super scared about these two english papers. Any advice/motivation would be appreciated. :)

icycledough

HSC
Just some basic tips, but they will go a long way.

1) Practice plenty of different questions (past HSC, private school, public school, Catholic, etc)

2) If possible, try practicing with a 5 minute deficit (that way, you are used to writing in less time; in the actual exam, you will need time to plan and think of a structure to your answer)

3) Work together with friends (for most people, English is a dreaded subject, but it is the most crucial as a minimum of 2 units will count no matter what)

4) If possible, try to get feedback from a tutor (if you have one), teachers, peers who excel at English, etc

I know it's hard to do so, but just enjoy it as much as you can. Try to engage in your texts if possible.

ahri

HSC
Make sure you time your practices - any practice without a timer and not in pseudo exam conditions (closed book, handwriting) will not be as effective!

uniqueusername1

HSC
So HSC English paper 1 in 10 days and I am really struggling. I've done well in all my assessments throughout school and ranked 2nd overall at my school in English but the exams ive done at school are nowhere near the difficulty of the HSC exams. I am aiming for a band6 and am having doubts about if i can even achieve it? English is honestly a struggle, esp module C. Feel pretty confident with all my other subject, but super scared about these two english papers. Any advice/motivation would be appreciated. :)
Just BS my guy. Don't waste time doing hours and hours of research and analysis to make something perfect. I used to do the same thing - Google every single thing. Like: What is the effect of this? What does this quote mean? And then realised it was to no avail (teachers still rinsed me :()

Now I just BS it and write what comes to mind. Its more comfortable this way and I can actually write an essay on the spot (well with quotes and shit). Anyways just do a bunch of practice questions and you'll notice you'll have a core set of quotes. You'll probs might have to find some more q's for some but, once you do find these quotes/ideas/themes you will become more immortal and be able to conquer more qs more effectively.

ColdMint123

HSC
Just BS my guy. Don't waste time doing hours and hours of research and analysis to make something perfect. I used to do the same thing - Google every single thing. Like: What is the effect of this? What does this quote mean? And then realised it was to no avail (teachers still rinsed me :()

Now I just BS it and write what comes to mind. Its more comfortable this way and I can actually write an essay on the spot (well with quotes and shit). Anyways just do a bunch of practice questions and you'll notice you'll have a core set of quotes. You'll probs might have to find some more q's for some but, once you do find these quotes/ideas/themes you will become more immortal and be able to conquer more qs more effectively.
Im not gonna lie, BS is how ive gotten through English this whole year and I think this is good advice. HSC English is just so daunting though. Paper 2, 3 pieces of writing in 2hours is so demanding, physically and mentally. I think practise is what will get me through with that. Also the subject this year has been so bland and its just blatantly boring.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Im not gonna lie, BS is how ive gotten through English this whole year and I think this is good advice. HSC English is just so daunting though. Paper 2, 3 pieces of writing in 2hours is so demanding, physically and mentally. I think practise is what will get me through with that. Also the subject this year has been so bland and its just blatantly boring.
Well in 11 days you shall be free. It will be downhill from there haha. Unless you hate any other subject more than eng...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)