English Homework- yes or no? (1 Viewer)

muramasa

HSC
I've heard of people who only really DO their maths homework.
For English, we get a bunch of questions regarding our texts.
Would you say to do them or to study the texts and write essays instead?

Darth_UNSW

HSC
If you can get away with it, don't do hw questions. They're useless. Study the text yourself. Make detailed notes, compose essays and do practice ones. Without a doubt the hw I did for it never achieved anything. Doing essays is thought provoking and inspires originality.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
How stupid, write essays!
Who the fuh does homework in senior years anyway?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you think the questions are beneficial, you should do them. If you feel as though they're not beneficial, don't do them. Better to focus on things that are useful than do things that aren't.

enoilgam

HSC
If you think the questions are beneficial, you should do them. If you feel as though they're not beneficial, don't do them. Better to focus on things that are useful than do things that aren't.
Totally agree with this. For some reason, people feel compelled to do all the homework set by their class teachers, which sometimes causes them to become overwhelmed. If you dont feel that you are getting anything from your homework, then dont do it - you are in control of your HSC and it's your responsibility to focus your attention on areas of need.

shortnsweet

HSC
I was thinking this exact same thing today. I feel that some of the questions do help you to familiarise yourself with the text and understand it better. It's ultimately up to you - only do questions which you think help you, if you don't think they help then don't bother wasting time.

Randox

HSC
N/A
I barely ever did English homework and still went well. I always just kept doing my own stuff for English and my tutors work.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes... If anything I spend too much time on English. I need to balance myself more! :/ Always a good idea to do your HW though...

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In general, I didn't felt doing the questions set by my teachers on analysing my texts were very helpful to assist my understanding, I find it much more useful for me to independently analyse the texts and write practice essays and gain feedback. Remember, no matter how many questions you answer correctly, they are likely to only be short answer responses, but in your exam, you need to write essays, and you will need to write practice essays to refine your essay writing skills. Make sure you prioritise what works for you, don't feel compelled to do every single piece of homework set by your teacher-because they will not be counted towards your final internal assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)