English HSC exam mark? (1 Viewer)

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Hello

Just a quick question:

Is the raw exam mark for HSC english calculated by simply adding up the marks of papers one and two, eg a mark out of 45 for paper one and a mark out of 60 for paper two added to give a mark out of 105?

Because I heard somewhere that your paper two marks were moderated against your performance in paper one....is this a complete lie?

Thanks!!

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Yeah, I only asked because I am trying to pace my study for english in such a way that I can get the most marks for the least effort :p

Anyway, I think I found the answer:

This is page 120 of the syllabus, and it clearly shows that Paper One has a weighting of 40% (roughly 45/105) and Paper Two has a weighting of 60% (roughly 60/105)

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Paper Two marks are indeed moderated against Paper One marks, but only to determine how marks in the Standard and Advanced English courses should be scaled.

In theory these courses are subject to the same scaling. What happens (I think) is technically Standard English should perform as well as Advanced English in their Paper Two essays, since Standard doesn't go into the sort of analytical depth that Advanced does. To stop bright students from doing Standard and getting 95+ easily, the whole cohort's performance in Paper One is examined, and the course that performs better overall is scaled (moderated?) up. Since this course is always Advanced English, the effect is that Standard English students find it harder to get band 6 and high band 5's, since their paper 2 performance (which might be very good) is moderated against their paper 1 performance (which would usually be weaker than their Advanced counterparts). The two courses are combined and scaled (moderated?) as one, but Standard always comes off worse.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
Asheroth said:
Paper Two marks are indeed moderated against Paper One marks, but only to determine how marks in the Standard and Advanced English courses should be scaled.

In theory these courses are subject to the same scaling. What happens (I think) is technically Standard English should perform as well as Advanced English in their Paper Two essays, since Standard doesn't go into the sort of analytical depth that Advanced does. To stop bright students from doing Standard and getting 95+ easily, the whole cohort's performance in Paper One is examined, and the course that performs better overall is scaled (moderated?) up. Since this course is always Advanced English, the effect is that Standard English students find it harder to get band 6 and high band 5's, since their paper 2 performance (which might be very good) is moderated against their paper 1 performance (which would usually be weaker than their Advanced counterparts). The two courses are combined and scaled (moderated?) as one, but Standard always comes off worse.

so...all i have to do is make the other 30000 standard students do good in their paper 1 and we would all come out on top with better marks and less work than advance?

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
so...all i have to do is make the other 30000 standard students do good in their paper 1 and we would all come out on top with better marks and less work than advance?
Yeah, pretty much :p Too bad the vast majority of Standard students are lazy gits. /huge generalisation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)