English HSC Study? (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm doing Advanced English in the HSC this year and want to get a band 6. But I was wondering what I can do apart from the work from school. Like practice essays, creatives and so on. Essentially, I want to improve my english skills.

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm doing Advanced English in the HSC this year and want to get a band 6. But I was wondering what I can do apart from the work from school. Like practice essays, creatives and so on. Essentially, I want to improve my english skills.

Thanks in advance guys! :)
You already have the answers lol

Apart from that, reading short stories can help tremendously in understanding the form of a creative
Reading academic articles from places like JSTOR can help you better understand texts and construct arguments
That being said there is no substitute for actually writing practice essays/creatives and getting teacher feedback (preferably multiple teachers if you can)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
You already have the answers lol

Apart from that, reading short stories can help tremendously in understanding the form of a creative
Reading academic articles from places like JSTOR can help you better understand texts and construct arguments
That being said there is no substitute for actually writing practice essays/creatives and getting teacher feedback (preferably multiple teachers if you can)
Will that sort of thing help with the HSC questions?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Writing practice essays? lol yes, especially with a variety of questions and preferably under timed handwritten conditions
but before you get to that stage id recommend writing atleast 1 (2 is better) essays that you spend a lot of time on and edit
so you have a decent grasp on how you approach different arguments
and get everything marked.

leehuan

HSC
I only wrote like 10 practice essays throughout the year for the entire English course. And memorised all of my quotes. And yes I had a skeleton plot for a creative which I adapted.

And I got 87 with an exam mark of 90....

leehuan

HSC
Writing practice essays? lol yes, especially with a variety of questions and preferably under timed handwritten conditions
but before you get to that stage id recommend writing atleast 1 (2 is better) essays that you spend a lot of time on and edit
so you have a decent grasp on how you approach different arguments
and get everything marked.
Tbh, I found it easier to get essays done in 40mins if I had the time pressure in the exam

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I only wrote like 10 practice essays throughout the year for the entire English course. And memorised all of my quotes. And yes I had a skeleton plot for a creative which I adapted.

And I got 87 with an exam mark of 90....
lol well its true im kind of overkill lol
but to each his own

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
thanks for the advice guys!
btw if you haven't already make sure you read some of the guides in the english section - in particular Crobat's and strawberrye's, they're very good
also for each module make sure you're familiar with the rubric since questions are essentially asked from it - you can find it on BOSTES website

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)