english in arts (1 Viewer)

pasteque

hey everyone i'm trying to decide between art history and english to do in my arts degree, and the reason i've gone off english even though it was my best subject at school is because i'm sick to death of the over analysis of texts in the advanced course to the extent that every text i studied i ended up hating

i was wondering if in the course at sydney there is more space for appreciation rather that dissection?

not that i mind it where it's needed it's just the ripping a piece to shreds that i object to

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Usyd English is more than banal analysis of texts for no apparent reason, and the courses cover much broader and more interesting areas which encompass the actual text/s.

Have you got the handbook? Take a look at the outlines of the units of study - none of it sounds overly exciting (not the first year stuff, anyway) but it's better than what we did for Eng Adv and with more depth than the extension courses.

If you're sick to death of the subject itself, inclusive of the overanalysis, then you probably should consider your other options :)

Last edited:

memo

I did 1st year english language and image and was quite disappoinited. To me it was not much different from high school english with a bit of english grammar. Some of the lectures were actually quite good but most of the better material were not examined in the end.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Go for art history and theory :)
English might have been your best subject, but if your a little sick
of it your opinion wont change much in university. And besides, your Picasso picture obviously shows you like art a fair bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)